Thursday, December 21, 2017

2017 trade package #23: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

I'm running out of time!  Not so much because the year is almost over, mind you.  But if I take any longer to post yet another awesome trade package from Doug of Sports Cards From the Dollar Store, I'll open my mailbox to find another another envelope from my northern (actually eastern) neighbor.
Canadian humour is my favourite!

Anyway, as usual Doug aimed his artillery at my favorite Michigan PC targets so there's lots to see over on TMM.  But I'm happy to have some stuff to show off over here once more as well as he threw in some cards of the state's two pro teams I root for:
Speaking of Michigan PCs this scan does start with a Wolverines Baseball alum and Michigan native, Jim Abbott.  Jim represents one of nine cards Doug sent from Panini's fun 2013 Hometown Heroes product, with the rest being Tigers of the past and present.  Lolich and McLain are here from the '68 champs while the '84 group includes Parrish, Petry, and newly-minted HOFer Alan Trammell!  (Not pictured:  Jack Morris)  More recent aces (and erstwhile Tigers) Scherzer and Verlander form 2/3 of the latest bunch, with Miggy being the only current member of the team.
While that last scan was all Panini this one is 100% Topps.  2017 Bowman Chrome is the most common product with cards of Cabrera, young star pitcher Michael Fulmer, Verlander, potential future closer Joe Jimenez (x2, with an insert) and 2014 4th-rounder Adam Ravenelle.  The Jimenez insert in particular is cool since it's got that trademark Refractor finish.

Possible future Red Sox OF/DH J.D. Martinez and a third Verlander appearance make up the haul from 2017 Gypsy Queen while recent birthday boy Al Kaline rounds out the group out of the similar A&G from 2013.
Of course the other Detroit team I (sometimes) collect is the Wings--I mean, I have zero interest in basketball and the Lions are straight garbage.  So this was a nice little haul from Doug, including plenty of familiar names.  DeKeyser, Howard, Nyquist, Tatar, and Zetterberg are all current guys while Marchenko is in Russia and Tootoo is with the Hawks.  Osgood and Shanahan are great callbacks to the dominant Cup teams that don't feel like they played that long ago.
This last group starts with another Hank base, a '95 Classic Draft checklist starring 1995 #1 overall pick Bryan Berard of the '94-'95 Detroit Junior Red Wings (who was actually a Sens draftee), young center Andreas Athanasiou (a native of London, Ontario, somewhat nearby Doug's hometown), and a Gold Score parallel of 2008 Cup-winner Daniel Cleary.

As I gear up for another year of trading with one of my most enjoyable and prolific partners I'm happy to say that my huge Christmas envelope arrived at Chez Corti today, so stay tuned for plenty of card goodness over there.

Doug, once again, thanks for a fantastic 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment