Wednesday, March 12, 2014

2014 trade package #8: A trade with GCR-Kell, by George


So, who do you think is the source of today's trade post?  It's Jim of Garvey, Cey, Russell, Lopes of course!  GCRL took advantage of my offer to purchase a few things for others on COMC, and while I don't think I've seen him post those yet, I do want to show off what he sent me, because I'm pretty excited:
Here's a really nice bunch of Tigers.  Among them, the Zumaya Heritage is a nice touch, but my favorites are the Cooperstown of Sam "Wahoo" Crawford and the Box Score of Kell, numbered 1213/2950.  I also like the shot on the '93 UD of Trammell, which I didn't own since I only have the first series.
Jim included five Ripkens, one of which hails from '92 Leaf's Heritage Series insert set.  The others, however, are a bit of an oddball--a Holiday Inn set produced by Upper Deck that looks like it was made in 2007, with Cal as their spokesman.  My favorite is the "Free High-Speed Internet" card that shows Ripken holding an unbranded laptop that looks more like a large slab of metal!  It's a fun addition to my Ripken collection for sure.
Jim Abbott 2013 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini
Speaking of Jims, GCRL tossed in an Abbott for my collection of the one-handed pitcher.  This 2013 mini is my 64th different Abbott and just my third from his 2013 issues.  It's one of my favorite types of minis because there's no variation that makes me have to scan the back too!

George Kell 1952 Bowman
And here's the card Jim originally promised me when we arranged this trade, and the whole reason I jumped at the offer.  This '52 Bowman Kell is in amazingly good shape considering it's now about 62 years old!  The back includes a bit of a stain towards the top, plus someone wrote "RED SOX" in pen or marker along the left side.  But who cares?  Everyone knows well-loved vintage is the best kind of vintage.  I'm simply over the moon about this outstanding vintage piece of a Tigers HOFer, easily one of the best old cards in my collection, period.

Thanks again for a great trade, GCRL!  I hope you enjoyed your end, and I look forward to making more deals with you soon, whether or not COMC is involved.  Readers, those of you who are in the minority and AREN'T following him for some reason should get over to the #1 blog for the Dodgers' legendary infield, Garvey, Cey, Russell, Lopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment