Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve trade envelopes!

Did I have to post this evening on Christmas Eve? Maybe not. But last night after I noticed my total post count for this blog I realized it would be fun to get #1224 up on 12/24. Also, the stuff below became early Christmas presents for me, so why not?

I don't do this very often but you're getting a combined trade package post from me because I thought it made sense given the contents. Here are the last three trade envelopes I received in 2022 (pending any that sneak under the wire next week):
First up is a "real" Christmas card from a person whose generosity earns him the right to be called a cardboard Santa. Wes often went beyond the limits of reason and economy to give joy to collectors all over, and I'm glad he's still around the hobby world in whatever form he chooses. So I was grateful to receive this greeting card from him, which I unfortunately ripped a bit after having difficulty with the envelope. The real treasure was inside, though:
Thank you to Wes and Amy for this very cool custom! I hope both of you have a fantastic holiday as well, and I'll happily be keeping this with the other cool customs I've received over the years, which I really will show off in an album or something at some point.

Speaking of customs, I was thrilled to be included on someone's nice list:
Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown is probably the best producer of customs I know, and he really puts those skills to good use at this time of year (which happens to be his birthday, by the way!). I've been the recipient of some very cool Christmas-themed productions of his and this year was no different. You've probably seen a bunch of these around the blogs and Twitter so far, and I'm happy to present my Ripken card. How cool is this? I included Gavin's note explaining a bit of the process where he took the classic but offensive-to-the-eyes yellow of '91 Fleer cards and solar bleached them to something easier to look at, then added a separate clear overlay with holiday themes and messages:
Thanks again for including me when sharing the fruits of your creative labor, Gavin! I hope you have an amazing birthday/Christmas, and I promise you'll be getting a few little gifts from me as well whenever I can get my Sportlots box shipped!

Finally, a day or two ago I received a surprise PWE from Colbey at Cardboard Collections. The busy breaker was nice enough to send me a pair of cards to celebrate the upcoming holiday:
And they're both Michigan uni autographs! On the left is DL Mike Martin, a guy who didn't care how much you double-teamed him because he was getting to your QB or RB on matter what. That's from 2012 SP Authentic, back when you could enjoy Upper Deck's efforts, which were often good when it came to college-related cards.

That's very apparent on the other card from Colbey, an autograph of WR Roy Roundtree out of 2013 Upper Deck. Martin's teammate of three years was exciting to watch at the position, especially while Denard Robinson was at QB, such as his game-winning catch in the legendary 2011 night game against Notre Dame. I love the horizontal action shot of Roy about to record another reception, possibly against Air Force in 2012, a game Jeff and I actually attended (a too-close 31-25 win).

Thank you for thinking of me just before Christmas, Colbey, I appreciate it!

May all of you reading this have wonderful holidays no matter what you celebrate and with whom. Thank you to all who've been generous with their time, money, and cards for another year. Merry Christmas!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you like the Cal. Merry Christmas, Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to do another game, maybe next year. Have a happy and safe holidays. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can make that happen again soon. Merry Christmas, Jeff!

      Delete
  3. From what I've been able to gather on the Twitter, Wes seems to be in a very good place right now, and I'm very happy for him.

    Merry Christmas, Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone deserves it, it's him! I'm glad to know a good dude like Wes. Merry Christmas to you too, Jon!

      Delete
  4. Very cool Cal custom, and it's great to see Wes is still sending out great cards.

    Merry Christmas Dennis, and GO BLUE just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you got a cool custom too! Merry Christmas and thanks for the "GO BLUE"!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas Dennis! I saved your padded envelope for today... and oh what a treat. Thanks buddy... and happy holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you too, Fuji! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I did say somewhere that your COMC cards and Chris's above were similar ;)

      Delete