Thursday, January 14, 2021

2020 COMC purchases: Dean-o and more new cards you haven't seen-o

Before I get to today's cards I just wanted to highlight a minor miracle that occurred since I last posted: last week my first COMC shipment containing the items I purchased for Christmas card packages finally rematerialized and appeared in Detroit, then Ann Arbor. I've since managed to put together all but one of those envelopes and send them out, so you may see some belated Christmas card posts soon!

Besides getting those done I've been hard at work ordering buttloads of cards from Sportlots (almost done!) and my first try with baseballcardstore.ca (ordered!), so I'll be showing those off in due time.

Ok, onward to tonight's content, which is 100% baseball:

Former slugging 3B Dean Palmer was one of two big winners today, and the guy who got the most new items added to his collection (now 160 cards strong). I'll get to the two most prominent items in a minute, but first, it's "90s inserts rule" time! The '94 Pinnacle Museum Collection design isn't nearly as good as '95's in my opinion, but it's still a great looking parallel. A year after the Preferred brand debuted as a Leaf name, it switched over to Donruss and was responsible for some very nice looking inserts, such as that Cut to the Chase die-cut parallel.

A Silver base card from '97 Finest gives me both of Dean's entries in the regular set, with the only two Rangers earning spots in the rare Gold versions the exact two you'd expect--Pudge Rodriguez and Juan Gonzalez. And '99 Black Diamond has some very fine parallels that are nicely differentiated both in coloring and numbering. Above you see the Double (/3000) and Triple (/1500) versions, meaning I still need the Quadruple (/150) to complete the mini rainbow.

As if 90s insert greatness wasn't enough, I managed to score my second relic (also a bat) and first autograph for my Palmer PC. The signature hails from the well known auto-per-pack 1996 Leaf Signature product and is the most common Bronze version, limited to 3500 copies. The writing is a bit squished but fairly legible otherwise. And speaking of hit-per-pack products, the bat was found in 2001 Private Stock packs I remember quite well, busting many back when relics were more novel. Both of these make for a nice boost to that growing collection.
This next group is a bit of a mix, comprising two former Tigers and another favorite PC. It may not have been too many© but I did find two new Granderson jerseys from 2008--SP Legendary Cuts and Topps Heritage--getting me to the 10 hit mark, for just $1.50 and $1.25, respectively. I also came up with a 2016 Donruss Stat Line insert for under $0.50 which was exciting since I've loved the parallel since it first appeared in 2001. This one's numbered to 263 for his career HR total through 2015, and he's put up 81 more in his final four seasons for a solid total of 344. And after all that we're not quite done yet with Curtis....

First let's have a look at the other cards here. Gwynn was one of the two subjects (Griffey's the other) I wanted to track down from Leaf's 1997 insert called Knothole Gang. Leaf took the motif seriously and came up with a super cool design. These are numbered /5000, which you should remember was pretty tough back then! 90s inserts rule and this was an easy purchase for me. Would you believe it was a "Freedom Isn't Free" special at just a buck-oh-five?

Former versatile Tiger (and player for five other teams) Tony Phillips, like Palmer, is another PC I've been starting to build up in the last year, and this '97 Refractor was the cherry on top of this order, the last card I snagged with my dwindling credit before seeing about shipping my two groups of purchases (trade bait and personal). 1997's design happens to be one of my favorites of the brand so I didn't mind paying $0.75 for this shiny 90s gem.
I said I'd get back to Grandy, didn't I? After naming this here blog after him more than 10 years ago I was finally able to add a plate to his collection. As you can see, this one's from 2017 Donruss and is of the yellow variety, and it was right in my $5-10 wheelhouse at around $8. I'm super excited to add another 1/1 of a favorite player, and I may have to put together a display for whatever "-fecta" I end up with. Right now I could do a RC, relic, auto, 1/1, and manurelic, which is a pretty nice group!
Switching over to the Michigan guys, here's today's last group. Leading off is the Mechanical Man and a 2012 Panini Cooperstown Crystal Collection parallel. This is the regular version, numbered /299, and it completes the trio for me as I already had the Red and Blue versions--a trifecta rainbow!

Next, I was ecstatic to score my first UM uniform autos of 2019 draft picks Tommy Henry (D-Backs, 2nd round) and Karl Kauffmann (Rockies, 2nd round). Elite Extra is perfect for collectors like me because of just such cards. In each case it's also my second auto but obviously my favorite for both given the college photos.

Staying relatively recent, I continued my slow progress towards P Clayton Richard's collection with a 2019 Topps Walgreens Yellow parallel. While the hues aren't quite right, combined with the blue of his team's uniform, it makes for a very appropriate card for a Wolverine!

I'm pretty sure buddy of the blog John, who's definitely already enthused by this group, will like this next card the most. My fellow Freehan collector would be all over this 2005 SP Legendary Cuts Glory Days jersey, one that was surprisingly new to me as I got down to my last few bucks of credit. I already owned the Gold (/75) version of this but not the unnumbered regular one you see above. $3 was a small price to pay for my 25th hit of one of the franchise's best all-time catchers.

And last but not least is the end of my baseball gets, namely a Getz. Hailing from 2008 Just Minors' Just Autographs set, this is a Gold autograph that's numbered on the back (digitally, on a foil stamp), which set me back $1.33. I ended up snagging it instead of the paradoxically more costly (on COMC, anyway) base version. This one getz (sorry, not sorry) his hit total up to 16, with all but two of those (a couple of plates) featuring his signature.

This is quite a nice haul to look at and I haven't even gotten to my football stuff yet! I haven't even scanned that yet, much less figured out if I'm going to break it up into multiple posts, but between the card stuff I mentioned above that's been keeping me busy and putting together this post, I've neglected a couple really nice trade packages I need to show off, so look for those to be my next two posts before I possibly get back to the rest of my COMC loot.

Until then, please enjoy looking at these pickups while we all wait for pitchers and catchers to report!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome cards... Always amazed at the cards you find, like the Getz card.

    ANY Freehan in a post is a good thing.

    Go Blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked, John! And I 100% agree with you there. I wish I could post new Freehan cards more often but most of the ones I need at this point are decently rare, expensive, or both. We'll see what 2021 brings. GO BLUE!

      Delete
  2. That's a great selection of cards. Love the Pacific relic, I hadn't seen that particular design before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! For as long as I've been collecting I still run into stuff I'm surprised I've never seen before, so I'm glad you found out about the Private Stock relics from me.

      Delete
  3. That Freehan jersey card is cool. Relics may not be what they used to be... but it's still cool when they contain game-worn items from old-timers. And that Knothole Gang card is cool too. I have the Sample... but need to grab the actual insert of Gwynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Freehan too! Yeah, it's rare that I would pay $3 for a relic, but his stuff is getting harder to find, plus like you said, it's cool that it's an older piece.

      I hope you grab the KG card for Gwynn when you get a chance. I was thrilled to get it for just over a buck after having it on my wantlist for quite a while!

      Delete
  4. Nice pickups! The knothole gang obviously grabbed my attention immediately.

    Need to plan out next pwe to you. But need stamps first lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! "90s inserts rule!" is definitely a big mood around these parts. I'm looking forward to your next PWE but I'm happy to wait, and in the meantime I need to see if I can find more stuff to send your way, though it's harder to do that without being able to get to shows.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to have to check out some Elite cards. I like those autos.

    I also need that Getz, I have the regular auto and the black, but not the gold. Didn't even know it existed. Nice pick-ups.

    Are you as pumped about our new RB's coach as I am?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff!

      Great idea! I can't think of an Elite design I haven't liked, and for college collectors like us they're extra nice. I think KK was only $1.25 while Henry was around $3, so they're definitely affordable.

      Like I said, the Getz parallel cost less than the regular one, so why not? You'll probably be able to find one that cheap if you wait a bit.

      And the new RBs coach, Mike Hart? Never heard of him, wonder if he's any good ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with Dean Palmer in the least, but do love that selection of his cards that you got, the group kind of has a best of the 90's vibe going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a fun guy to watch for a few teams in the 90s. I'm glad you're also a fan of cards from the decade!

      Delete