Thursday, December 31, 2020

Another milestone and a new year!

I'm back tonight briefly to join in the New Year's fun and celebrate another milestone before saying so long and good riddance to 2020.

Obviously the year sucked for many, many reasons, but card collecting was emphatically not one of them. While I spent just north of $800 this year--much less than usual--and only got to enjoy three card shows before things went to shit, I still had a great year of picking up stuff for myself and others. And I also got to post a total of 38 trade packages to go along with deals from a brand new source, TCDB trades. Collecting and trading made the year suck much less than it could have so again I want to thank everyone who read and and commented on the blog and traded it with me, plus other bloggers who kept things interesting themselves.

On a somewhat related note, I didn't make a big deal of this at the time, but I didn't want the year to end without noting one major milestone:

This here blog turned TEN! F$%king TEN! back on August 28. Yep, Too Many Grandersons made its debut that Saturday in 2010 as I explained the title's Simpsons reference, laid out my goals, and teased opening a bunch of boxes, which was kind of my thing for a while back then. While I can easily tell that I've averaged fewer than 110 posts a year here (I'm just shy of 1100 including this one) I'm glad I was at least able to stick with it to last this long. I've made a lot of great collector friends, made trades that wouldn't have been possible otherwise, added a plethora of great cards, and evolved as a collector in what I'd say is a positive fashion. So thank you to everyone that stuck with me! I promise to keep blogging sporadically and not clogging your reading lists for years to come as long as this remains fun for me.

Here's to 2021 being at least a bit better than the dumpster fire of 2020. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year Nintendo GIF

22 comments:

  1. A very belated happy blog-anniversary and a happy new year to you! These memes are fantastic, especially the Ramones. The internet can be clever when it's not crappy - i never would have thought to connect "I Wanna Be Sedated" to this exact day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (To be fair the "belated" part is my fault!) Thanks, Chris! I saw the Ramones meme all over the place in the last 24 hours and was glad to share it here. I definitely don't wanna be sedated when we get to kiss 2020 goodbye. I hope you have an excellent year as well!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 10! I have that coming up in Feb.

    I’m impressed you know how much you spent on cards last year. Maybe I can be diligent enough in 2021 to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't realize we started so close together. I'll be expecting to congratulate you as well in just a few weeks, then.

      I keep a fairly meticulous (but simple) Google Sheet for my spending and would be happy to share what I do with you and anyone else that might be interested.

      Delete
  3. Happy 10th, Dennis! That's a club that I'll never make it in to, but have great admiration for those that do. Here's to your staying power :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! I don't see why you couldn't do it too, especially if I can.

      Delete
  4. Happy 10 years, and, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! 10 years for me is 2024 but I hope to keep going as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billy! That's only three more years so I'm sure you'll make it!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on 10! Here's to a new year and 10 more years on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff! I'll keep posting Tigers stuff just for you! (Or, you know, Wolverines, since those are what bring you here)

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year and congrats on the blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dennis! Happy New Year to you! And happy (belated) blogoversary! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy! Let's make sure to trade again this year at some point.

      Delete
  9. Happy 10th! ... Only 3 card shows, huh? That's like a year-and-a-half for me. ... Well, when things are normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! I hope we both get more opportunities to get to shows this year.

      Delete
  10. Happy anniversary! Both of our blogs were born in 2010. Here's to another awesome ten years! Oh... and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji! I didn't realize we started the same year, especially since your blog has always been light years ahead of mine :) . Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, oh man of many names! (As if I'm one to talk!)

      Delete