Tuesday, June 2, 2020

2020 trade package #12: The Angels in Order

I'm once again making a concerted effort to get a post up since it's been far too long and I have lots to catch up on! My biggest recent excuse is more TCDB trading, which has been a surprise and much-needed boon to my collecting this year given that shows are out of the question.

Tonight I'm showing off an envelope sent to me by Tom of The Angels, In Order. Tom gave me a heads up that this was on its way a few weeks ago, and sure enough it arrived safely in my mailbox. I'd argue that he severely underplayed what was inside, apparently a PWE he'd had mostly ready to go last year but forgot to mail out. Works for me!
While I don't need most of these anymore, I appreciate Tom making the effort to hit a few of my PCs. The '93 Pacific Spanish Griffey was new to me, and it's possible the others would have been last year, but who cares, because, new trade bait for me! The others here are two more Juniors from Topps' 2016 insert called Tribute to the Kid--which I'm slowly working on--plus Rich Hill's '18 flagship base and a Cal 3000 Hits Club insert from 2016 Topps. I shouldn't have any problem finding other folks who'll appreciate these as much as I do.
The real shock for me came when these two signed photos popped out of the envelope. Tom Grieve, who mostly played for Texas over parts of nine MLB seasons, currently calls games for the Rangers, but he also happens to be a guy I collect because he went to the same school I did. Although he didn't suit up for Michigan Baseball during his time in Ann Arbor, he's still an alum and therefore meets the criteria for being part of my collection

All that said, it's extremely cool to get not just one but two autographs of his, and very nice signatures at that! Again, I really appreciate it when people go out of their way to send me stuff of the players I collect, especially digging deep enough to find something of a UM guy.

So thanks again for your generosity, Tom! The envelope wasn't a surprise but the contents definitely were. I've actually got a pretty decent pile of stuff going for you so it may not be too much longer before I can respond in kind!

8 comments:

  1. Nice! That 3000 Club Cal looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you still had use for at least some of it, being over year since I packaged it up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Tom--that was a great surprise!

      Delete
  3. There's a story I read about Mr. Grieve... but I can't seem to remember it. I do know that he's the father of Ben Grieve... who I collected a lot back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do some digging... but I figured it out. He's part of the "Mister" Club. Gwynn is Mr. Padre. Kaline is Mr. Tiger. Banks is Mr. Cub. And Grieve is Mr. Ranger.

      Delete
    2. Oh cool, I didn't know that!

      Delete
  4. You seem to have great success on TCDB. I gave up that site fast lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I still don't think they should have run you off with that whole thing about uploading wantlists and tradelists, though I do agree that they make things easier. I have very little of my trade bait listed but have had no problem getting trades going.

      Delete