Friday, September 6, 2019

9/6/19 card show report: hooky haul

I've got a ton of cards in-hand and on the way so I've got lots to cover, but what you're getting today is a same-day recap from this weekend's card show at the usual spot in Taylor.  Because tomorrow's Michigan game kicks off at noon (a.k.a. best kickoff time) I doubted I'd be able to get over there with enough time to look around, so I took the day off today instead!

I ended up spending around an hour sifting through my dude's $1/six-for-$5 and $2/three-for-$5 boxes and that ended up being the limit of my patience for the afternoon, so no dime box stuff today, but maybe next time.  In the end I took home 18 of the former and 15 of the latter, totaling 33 cards for a nice even $40.

After sorting out stuff intended for specific trade packages I came up with two extra trade bait cards:
The Dustin Keller auto/manupatch/RC is from '08 Leaf R&S Longevity, and I didn't mind including it in my $2 box pile because of this:
eBay 1/1!  I figure between the card looking pretty cool, the numbering, and the player or team, I'll find somebody that wants it.

The other card up for grabs is a 2000 Pacific jersey of former Chargers RB Natrone Means.  I was thinking one or more of you who follow me might collect Chargers, and otherwise it's a reasonable trade card to have for just a buck.

My personal haul was just as minuscule, which is totally fine given the avalanche of cards descending upon me lately.
Up first is a new autograph of Michigan basketballer GRIII from Panini's 2014-15 Paramount product.  The set's called Penmanship Rookie Autographs and the card's numbered on the back (#25/99).  Robinson has a pretty cool signature if you don't mind initials, which I think works just fine here and lives up to the name of the set.  I now own five hits of the former Wolverine/Piston who's now playing for the Warriors.
And then I was even more excited to come up with this David Harris autograph (which also came from the $2 box, I believe).  You just don't get many defensive guys on hits, so you have to grab them when you can!  This Harris, my 29th of the tackling machine of a LB, hails from 2011 Topps Rising Rookies, a product that had multiple versions of an insert called "Playmaker" that could include relics, autos, and both (such as the one I already own, which is five copiers easier to find for some reason).  It's numbered (#04/20) up front so its relative scarcity is immediately on display.  I now have 81 different cards of the former Wolverine great, and I hope his alma mater comes away with a victory tomorrow afternoon against Army and its goofy offense.

With these covered, you can look forward to cards from three(!) trade packages, COMC, eBay, and Sportlots over the next few weeks as I try to catch up with a cavalcade of cardboard.

7 comments:

  1. Nice pickups! How is the Taylor show overall? I've been meaning to head out there one of these days, but the Troy show is closer for me so I've just been doing that one. Is it anything like the old Gibraltar shows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do still miss Gibraltar sometimes, but I'm very happy with this show because of the one seller I make sure to see every time I'm there. It's free to get in and not remotely difficult to get to. Also, GTC's shows could look huge but there was a lot of wasted space and a good number of people selling non-sport stuff like Pokemon and racing. So I'd highly recommend it.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check it out one of these days. Taylor is about an hour from me, so not too bad. I used to drive about that far from my old place to get to the GTC show in Mt. Clemens.

      Delete
    3. Mt. Clemens was always much farther away from me so I only went a handful of times, but it was pretty good. I think Taylor Town is worth the hour-ish drive and would probably still go myself if it was that far for me.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the win! That was a close one! SJSU and Stanford were both blown out... which sucked. Cal was the lone winner... but they beat UW (who I actually have a soft-spot for). Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely a weird weekend. I didn't expect WVU to get smacked like that either. Stanford's too good to have that many bad games, though. I hope you're not also a UCLA fan, though I don't think I remember you being one.

      Delete
    2. No allegiance to the Bruins. The only reason I have a soft spot for the Huskies is because my cousin went there back in the early 80's... and he was kinda my idol at the time. He's actually the reason I'm a Seahawks fan.

      Delete