Tuesday, June 25, 2019

2019 eBay purchases: 1 + 1 = 1/1

Michigan Baseball is due to play in just a bit in its biggest game since I've been alive (and then some!) so I'm going with a shorter post today, plus I haven't gotten around to scanning the contents of the last two trade packages I received.

So here's a look at the two eBay purchases I made the last couple months:
A bit more than a month ago I went chasing after this 2006 SP Legendary Cuts yellow printing plate of former Wolverine/Tiger baseballer Charlie Gehringer, and I was surprised to win it for a bit under $15 shipped.  I love collecting him when I can because he played for my favorite college and pro teams, but since he's a HOFer his cards can carry a premium, so I thought the price tag was reasonable here, especially since it represents my first plate or 1/1 of any kind of the Mechanical Man (and 45th card overall).  Beggars can't be choosers but I'm also thrilled that the one I landed is from UD's iconic SP Legendary Cuts brand!
Flash forward to a couple weeks ago and I'd won my second Tigers plate in as many months, this one of blog namesake dude (and future HOFer) Justin Verlander, for about $12.50.  As you can see on the back it's one of Topps' Gypsy Queen Framed Mini plates, specifically the Black version from 2014.  Oddly enough, Matt of Bob Walk the Plank sent me the Yellow plate from the 2016 product back in 2017, so I can enjoy both and compare them.  While I prefer the newer version's red border to whatever you call this, the plate is the important part and it looks terrific.  That makes three 1/1s of Mr. Upton, and 370 cards total.

And in case you were wondering, my plate/1-1 collection now stands at a crazy 121!

I'll probably be back with those trade packages in the next few days.  Until then, GO BLUE tonight!  (And tomorrow, if necessary, but hopefully it's not necessary)

4 comments:

  1. These are awesome, the Verlander in particular. 121 1 of 1s is very impressive! I think I have maybe three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you're patient, and especially if you collect guys that aren't generally stars, they can be surprisingly reasonable in price.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Not sure what's more amazing. The fact that you were able to buy a sweet looking GQ framed Verlander printing plate for only $12.50... or that you have 121 printing plates in your collection. Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was indeed shocked to get a JV plate that cheap. Those sure add up when you put in the time/money to get them!

      Delete