Sunday, March 24, 2019

2019 trade package #4: Scribbled Ink

It had been a while since I last saw Paul from Scribbled Ink in-person--a Tigers game we both attended with John--and longer still since we first met up at the monthly Troy card show near his house--almost exactly a year ago.  Thankfully the stars aligned and we were both able to make it back there yesterday.  I went mostly to bring Paul a few things I'd set aside for him but I did manage to spend a few bucks while I was there, and I'll probably post show recaps in the next couple days.

In the meantime here's all the fun stuff Paul brought for me:
Without looking I'm not sure if this is a full team set of Tigers from 2018 Topps Update, but anyway they're all new to me as far as I know.  Candelario still has plenty of promise on an otherwise uninteresting 2019 squad while Greiner, Hicks, Jimenez, and Greene should all be around too.  Gerber was once an intriguing prospect but was grabbed by the Giants on waivers earlier this year and then DFAed.  Liriano is back with the Pirates after an unsuccessful 2018 campaign both for him (his numbers sucked) and the team (who couldn't flip him because he wasn't very good).
Here's a few more 2018s, this time mostly from Heritage.  I was surprised Paul gave me a Jones since he's one of his guys--must be a double!  Unfortunately JJ will likely have to start the year on the IL.  I raised an eyebrow at the Shore (Bowman Chrome) until Paul reminded me the Tigers picked him up from Oakland as a PTBNL in last season's Mike Fiers deal.  And finally we have Detroit's most underwhelming Opening Day starter since, I guess, 2004?  The forgettable Jason Johnson opened that season.  Jeremy Bonderman got the nod in '05 and '07 but I generally remember him fondly.
The Tigers may not be great this year but happily Paul also included a bunch of cards of some of my PCs.  I'd forgotten that I landed a Silver Rediscover Topps buyback of Jim Abbott's '89 Topps rookie so it was fun having that pop out of the pile, along with an oddball Cardtoons card from '93 celebrating his no-no in a goofy way.  I was surprised that I didn't already have a fun 2001 SP Top Prospects insert of former two-sport guy Drew Henson.  And a trio of Barry Larkins was also a nice highlight, especially a 2017/'18 pair of Topps inserts that were new to me.
The Michigan run continues with a pair of '99 Fleer-branded Hal Morris base and an '89 Fleer Box Bottom card of Chris Sabo.  The Sabo was actually a double for me but it's such a huge upgrade over the one I'd previously picked up (from Sportlots, I believe) that I was glad to keep it.  And lastly Paul kept me on-brand with two many Verlanders.  I've already managed to sew up both versions of these 2007 Topps/Chrome Generation Now cards but they'll make fine trade bait, especially as I try to get things going on TCDB eventually.

Thanks again for meeting up at the show again, Paul, and for another fun in-person card swap.  I hope to be able to get you out to my favorite show in Taylor before long so you can see what I consider the best dime and quarter boxes in the area!

8 comments:

  1. I have to get with you guys at a card show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll find one all three of us can get to someday!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff! One day I hope to meet one of the bloggers on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Michigan where all the cool bloggers are!

      Delete
  3. The Abbott cartoon should have made the catcher's name Costello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you're 100% correct, Matt, they really missed an opportunity there.

      Delete
  4. It was a good time as usually even with that creepy guy practically inside me at the quarter box. I hope to have some better stuff for you next time. I need to start grabbing some non-card stuff for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, WTF was up with that? As busy as my guy in Taylor gets that never happens there.

      Delete