Thursday, October 18, 2018

A five minute post addendum: autographed memorabilia

As I was looking through the autographed stuff I posted yesterday and comparing those to my collection of pictures of my brother and I with the signers we met at shows, I realized I was missing something.  It took some digging but I finally located it:
I don't remember exactly what year it was when we went to see Brooks Robinson at the old Gibraltar Trade Center in Taylor, but I do remember him being a super nice guy.  You know, one of those autograph guests that actually smiles, says "hi", maybe talks for a minute as he's signing, and even gives you time for a quick photo.  The fact that Robinson was an amazing Hall of Famer and Gold Glover at his position was just a bonus.

Anyway, I tried to sleuth out what I had Brooks sign for me based on a photo of me at his table waiting for him to sign.  I thought it may have been one of the Hall of Fame programs/yearbooks I had, one of which contains the Fergie Jenkins and Bob Feller signatures you saw yesterday.  Nope.  Finally I realized it was a page from a nice Orioles-centric book my mom got me one year:
Yes, I spilled a bit of paint on the spine in an incident with an open can and a ladder a few months ago.  No, I don't wanna talk about it.
I was big into the team in my junior high and high school years, mainly because of Cal, and my mom is an amazing person who paid attention to my interests, so she really killed it with this.  And the cherry on top is a beautiful signature from the Human Vacuum Cleaner on a page that stars a great glossy photo of the master at his craft.

So of course I'm glad I finally remembered I was missing him in my collection and was able to track this book down!

This gives me two "five minute" posts in two days, and to those I can add a third over on TMM this evening as I show off my latest purchase, my 113th 1/1.  Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. It's always nice to hear positive stories about meeting athletes. He's got a nice signature. I just purchased an autograph of his last week. Waiting patiently for it to arrive in the mail, so I can blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure does have a nice signature, so I can't wait to see that! I'd say most of my in-person autograph experiences ranged from good to great with just a few exceptions. Mickey Lolich and Desmond Howard are guys that clearly didn't want to be there, didn't talk, and barely looked at me when I went to meet them. But pretty much everyone else I mentioned in the last post was cool, especially the older stars like Brooks, Stargell, Kaline, and especially Feller.

      Delete