Wednesday, July 25, 2018

2018 trade package #16: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

I don't know about all of you but I think one month is plenty long to go without a new trade package from Sports Cards From the Dollar Store guy Doug.  Fortunately he rarely keeps me waiting that long and makes it worth it regardless with bunches of stuff carefully selected for my collection.  I always like to give traders like him extra credit for hitting my favorite PCs, the ones that are Michigan-centric, and like clockwork he came up with another winner for my Wolverines, posted over on TMM this evening.

But for now you're here to see other stuff, like this:
A Junior in-hand is worth three in the trade post, or something like that.  Doug hit both of the major sons-of-ballplayers in my collection, starting with a cool numbered Griffey.  That one's from 2018 Panini Father's Day USA Baseball (#079/399), and I finally determined (with zero help from Beckett's OPG) that despite being numbered this is the "base" version of these, which is shiny and looks great.

His somewhat older contemporary Ripken came in for double the fun with a pair of 2018 Stadium Club cards, the newest in my PC of Cal.  Up top is a Never Compromise insert, one that calls back to previous Stadium Club products, if more in name than design.  Hey, if Topps Never Compromises on producing Ripken cards I'll be happy!  That's joined by a great looking horizontal base card of the master with his tools.  Who doesn't like shots like these?

Fun fact:  I now have 799 cards in Ripken's album!
Of course the fun didn't stop there as I was also treated to a trip to Hockeytown thanks to this octet.  Nielsen and Zetterberg are the only current Wings, but Lidstrom is a top-five franchise player so I love his 2011-12 Certified base.
And then there was the jewel of the Detroit stuff:  this 2017-18 SP Game Used Gold jersey of Wolverwing star and PC guy Dylan Larkin.  Doug's been nice enough to flip me three of my four Larkin hits--this one plus another jersey and an autograph--for that fledgling collection of a guy that could become the franchise's next superstar.  To say I'm excited to get another hit of him is an understatement!

Doug, for the 28th time on this blog thanks for a great bunch of cards!  I'm glad you liked the package I recently sent your way and I'll be spending some time in the next few weeks working on another one, though I bow to your generosity and efficiency!

2 comments:

  1. Lidstrom is not just a Red Wing great... he's an all-time great! I couldn't stand your team during the 90's... but couldn't help but admire greats like Yzerman, Fedorov, and Lidstrom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are definitely the teams that made Detroit Hockeytown, and I sure do miss them given the huge dropoff we've seen in the last decade! (And of course I could never stand the Sharks either!)

      Delete