Thursday, June 21, 2018

2018 trade package #14: Sports Card Collectors

Two of my three direct Sportlots envelopes have arrived and a couple more are on their way to join others already in my Box.  Plus my "oops I forgot a few and added others" COMC package arrived the other day.  Pretty soon I'm gonna be up to my ears in cards to post!

Actually I'm kind of already in that boat but have been kind of lazy about putting up my two most recent COMC writeups.  Matt from Sport Card Collectors to the rescue!  My fellow 90s insert fanatic gave me a perfectly reasonable excuse for putting that off in sending cards to me for the sixth time already this year.  Once again it was a PWE with plenty of pop:
PC guy Jim Abbott claimed 1/3 of the envelope with this fun pair.  On the left is an IP/TTM-type signature on his '90 Donruss base card.  Comparing that to other Abbott signatures I own, including one other such card that's also from the 90s--Topps--it looks about right so I have no reason to doubt its authenticity, making it the clear highlight of the envelope!  (By the way, I've finally posted an album just with my IPs/TTMs.  I still have more to scan so most of what's there is up because I've scanned them for my Tigers/other PC albums, but stay tuned for more.  Anyway, catch those by finding them under my collections on the right side of this page.)

The other one Matt sent is no slouch either:  a 2013 USA Baseball Champions Legends Certified Die-Cuts Mirror Green (#006/199).  Yes indeed that's a mouthful, but basically it's another parallel of a card I already own, the plain-old die-cut:
There's a few other colors I'd like to add to this rainbow and I'm glad Matt got me started off with the Mirror Green, which looks pretty sharp!
The other four cards were all Tigers, and not just some boring base stuff either.  Matt Boyd, the guy who started the game I attended a few weeks ago, appears on an Indigo parallel from this year's Gypsy Queen (#116/250).  The Georgia Peach gets a stunning insert called Portraits from Panini's excellent 2018 Diamond Kings product.  Promising righty Michael Fulmer brings me back to one of my favorite Topps Products, Stadium Club Chrome, with an insert of that same name from last year.  If any product deserves the Chrome treatment, this is it!  And finally, a 2018 Topps Gold parallel (#1205/2018) brings back good memories of 2B Ian Kinsler, who always seemed to lead off games I attended with a solo HR.  He'll forever remain in my good graces for being an excellent Tiger whose production was the icing on the cake for dumping the bloated contract (and carcass) of Prince Fielder on the Rangers.

Thanks for the surprise envelope, Matt!  I'm happy to say that I have a few things in-hand and a bit more on the way so I can send you a fun return.  A guy whose name rhymes with "Hodney Rampton" might even be involved....

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed buddy! More to come :)

    And I like that rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Score! Can't wait. You'll have some things heading toward your mailbox soonish too.

      Delete