Saturday, May 5, 2018

2018 trade package #11: Sports Cards From the Dollar Store

Now that I'm back and rested from a much-needed vacation to visit friends I have one from a pair of trade envelopes to show off to you before I get back to the eBay goodness.  Today's is a two-parter, naturally, as it's from Canadian good guy (as if that wasn't redundant) Doug of Spourts Cards Froum the Doullar Stoure.  As is tradition he sent me a great pre-Expo package, which I'm guessing will soon be followed up by a post-Expo package, though I wouldn't be surprised if I received a "while I'm at the Expo!" package from him as well.  Dude's awesome, is what I'm saying.

So make sure to check out the great goods on TMM this evening after you peruse these nice additions:
We'll start with this pair of Michigan baseballers, Jim Abbott and Chris Sabo.  These guys never got to play together in college--they missed each other by about three years due to their age difference--or in the pros, but I'm happy to have them side-by-side here!
Doug also sent a bunch of Wings stuff, a nice assortment that I have to imagine he accumulated through his trademark repacks.  This first scan includes a few fan favorites in Datsyuk, Franzen, Holmstrom, and Lidstrom.  Those Score cards that dominate the scan are mostly from the 12-13 set, and I think they look great.  I hope you do too because there's more where that came from!
Alongside a few other players the clear star of the show here is The Captain, Steve Yzerman.  I'm not sure what's going on with the photo on the Zenith card, especially the coloring, but it's an otherwise great shot of the Detroit legend.  Meanwhile a Parkhurst issue from 92-93 offers a cool landscape shot of "Stevie Y" in action.  That playing card starring the whole team is a great way to wrap up most of the base.
I said "most" because of this nice pile featuring a pair of notable Wings goalies: Jimmy Howard and Chris Osgood.  I've probably mentioned a million times that I got to see my Wolverines defeat Howard and his Maine teammates in the NCAA regionals years ago, and he's served as a solid if unspectacular netminder in Motown.  Osgood, of course, won three cups, two as a starter, in Hockeytown, and I especially like his selection here.
The first of the three hockey hits going into my Wings collection is this jersey relic of Wolverwing Luke Glendening from 2016-17 SP Game Used's Stadium Series Fabrics offering.  It highlights Detroit's victory over the Avalanche in a game played at Coors Field on February 27, 2016.  Five different wings scored in the 5-3 win, and Glendening (on just my second hit of him), pictured here, picked up an assist.  The slightly larger than average jersey swatch is a beautiful red straight out of the team's colors.
Wings hit #2 is this jersey relic of former grinder Tomas Holmstrom from 2010-11 Zenith Winter Warriors Materials.  The Swede was part of four Cup-winners in Detroit, and "warrior" certainly describes his style of play, a fearless force in front of the net who never gave a goalie a moment of peace and was often in the right place to bang home a rebound.  He left as a fan-favorite and I'm happy to have something of his for my collection.
Last up is my third card of Wolverwing wunderkind Dylan Larkin from 2015-16 Upper Deck Champ's, with all three coming courtesy of Doug.  This time I got a Rookie Jerseys relic to go with the autograph and insert he'd already sent.  Here's the pair of hits side-by-side:
At some point I'll track down the base RC to go with it and make it a proper trifecta.

Once again Doug, thanks a ton for your generosity!  Not everybody gives up hits of young stars like you do, or puts in the time to hit my favorite PCs.  I hope you had a great Expo and I look forward to hitting you back at some point, but for now I'll sit here and complain to myself about how this country's shipping rates are higher than yours for no reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment