Wednesday, March 7, 2018

2017 COMC purchase: new Jack city

Before I get to today's card I'm using the beginning of this post to try to solve a quick postal mystery:  who is the anonymous Oregonder (or Oregondor, which makes me think of The Lord of the Rings) who sent me a very nice bubble mailer full of Tigers (and a few Ripkens) from the ZIP of 97204?  I'd very much like to give that Portlander credit when I get around to the accompanying trade posts, and to return the favor while I'm at it.  So if you're the nice trader who sent that envelope on the Oregon Trail (where it did not die of dysentery or break and axle fording the river) all the way to Ann Arbor, please step up and get your kudos by leaving a comment or shooting me an email!

Ok, on to today's card, the last one I have from last year's COMC purchases (though if you want to see more of those, head on over to TMM!).  It doesn't fit in with the player collections guys I posted the other day but will look great with the best I can offer from my Detroit Tigers hits:
From the high-end 2004 Donruss Timelines product ($50 per pack with autographs 1:2, says Beckett) this here is a Recollections Autographs signature (#32/56) of newly minted Hall of Fame pitcher Jack Morris.  This enormous autograph offering includes almost 1600 cards (this one is #923) that are signed buybacks of past Donruss issues that add a "Recollection Collection" foil stamp (and serial numbering on the back) and leave everything else as-is.  Charmingly (or annoyingly, depending on your opinion) that means many are off-center like this one or feature other flaws, but for me that just makes them more fun. 

A quick search shows that Morris signed 18 different Donruss cards from 1981-93, with multiple appearances from a few years.  Print runs vary from 139--one of his 1988 base cards--all the way down to a single copy of his Baseball's Best boxed set issue.  The one you see above, of course, is from Donruss' sophomore product in 1982.

I'm sure buybacks like this are somewhat polarizing, though surely not nearly as much as Jack's induction into the Hall this year.  His was a tough case so I'm just glad to see him get in.  Even if he didn't I'd be happy to continue collecting some of his better stuff like this.  It marks my third auto of the former ace and three-time Series-winner, and I'm always on the hunt for more.

That's it for COMC stuff from last year, finally, so while I catch up on purchases from there over on TMM you can all look forward to a couple trade packages here soon!

2 comments:

  1. Me! I wonder what happened to the return address stamp? It's actually 97202, but I mailed it from a 97204 post office. I got lazy with not sending notes with cards this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! According to my address list I knew you were close but I wondered if someone I hadn't traded with had sent me stuff. I'll get a trade post up soon!

      Delete