Tuesday, November 21, 2017

2017 trade package #21: Bob Walk the Plank

After showing off a trade package from Doug of Sports Cards From the Dollar Store (on TMM), I'm back with another bunch of cards from another of my prolific trade partners, Matt of Bob Walk the Plank.  The West Virginian purchaser of Pirates graced my mailbox with a very, very high-end kind of envelope including three cards you'll see here plus another over on TMM (two-parter!).

Let's check out the goods:
I'm sure most if not all of you are going "WHO?" so I'll give extra credit to Matt for remembering that Christian is one of my many Michigan Baseball alumni-turned PC guys.  The card you see here is his 2010 Bowman Chrome Prospects Orange Refractor (#08/25), putting me just two short of his rainbow from that product, and three away from his whole 19-card run.  Jason appears to be out of baseball and only appeared in two products (2009 Donruss Elite Extra Edition was the other), so I don't see cards of him I need turn up too often.  Great start!
Remember how I said "high-end" above?  You didn't think a low-numbered Refractor, nice as it is, would be as good as it gets, did you?  This is Matt we're talking about!  Bob Walk's #1 fan really upped the ante with this fantastic triple autograph out of Fleer's 2005 Classic Clippings.  The set is called Diamond Signings Triple Blue and the card, numbered 07/99, includes signatures from Gavin Floyd (Baseball Card Breakdown shoutout!), Scott "Victor Zambrano was totally worth it!" Kazmir, and some fresh-faced kid named Verlander.  That's right, this is a numbered, RC year autograph of Mr. Kate Upton that also includes two other solid pitchers (and a total of 96.5 bWAR, more that half of which can be chalked up to JV).  What a ridiculously great card to get as my sixth auto of the 2017 World Series champ.
And now we've finally reached "Silly, ain't it?" altitude as this package not only included a Verlander signature--I'm also the thrilled recipient of a plate as well!  I rag on Topps' Gypsy Queen product because it (along with A&G) takes their A.D.D.--addled player selection to the extreme by replacing, you know, baseball players, with anything any everything else.  But!  But in the rare instance that Topps teases collectors with a representative of this sport in the product, those framed cards--be they inserts, relics, autographs, or plates like this one--look fantastic.  This JV, generously sent to me by Matt the Mountaineer, is exhibit "A".  As you can see by the back it's a yellow version from last year's product, and the diminutive plate still manages to capture a great look at the delivery of a fierce competitor.

While signatures of Verlander may seem to be relatively scarce in my collection, 1/1s are even more so as this is just my second!  I should also mention that I now count a crazy 89 1/1s across all of my PCs.

Thanks again, Matt!  It's a bit of an understatement to say that I didn't see these coming!  Fortunately I'll be able to keep up my end of the, uh, high-end dealing we've been doing in time for a Merry Morgantown Christmas.  I won't tell you what I have for you or when I'll be sending them, but when they do get to you, you'll know it!

3 comments:

  1. There are no non-baseball cards in Gypsy Queen. Maybe there were in the past, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of stumbled into the printing plate. It was a last second addition.

    ReplyDelete