Thursday, February 5, 2015

Living in the projects

I haven't posted in a few days, but for once I actually have a reason:  I'm working on some big card-related projects!  Since I'm caught up on trades for a bit and it'll be a few days before I have new stuff to work with from online purchases and a potential show, this seems like as good a time as any to get going on some things I've had on the back burner.  It's cold outside and it'll be a while before all the blog and forum posts covering Topps' typical mailed-in effort of an ugly base set and forgettable inserts end, so why not have some more fun with my own cards?

So with that in mind, after putting in a nice amount of effort on my Michigan baseball and hockey player collections especially in the last year, mainly scanning and posting them, I've finally decided to do the same with a few of my PCs more relevant to this blog.  All are started and have at least a few cards in them, but none contain anywhere near my total inventory of each player.  So I've gone through my player boxes and have started sorting each guy by year/set/insert so they're ready to scan and I can avoid dupes, then I'm making a list of each player's card(s) in each of my complete sets so I can scan those more efficiently (by only having to pull each set out once).

This is a monumental effort for me considering some of the players involved and how widespread their cards are around my PC, but in the end I'm happy to do the work for two reasons:  to show them off to appreciative fellow collectors, and to see what I already have so I can get back to picking up new stuff without having to worry about doubles.

Here are the players in question; click each image to see what I've scanned so far:

Tigers:
Kirk Gibson
Curtis Granderson (Tigers only)
Alan Trammell
Justin Verlander
Lou Whitaker

80s/90s stars:
Ken Griffey Jr.
Tony Gwynn
Greg Maddux
Cal Ripken Jr.

You'll notice that some of these guys have a few cards scanned already while others have a bunch.  It really doesn't matter because there's a lot more where that came from!  This will likely be a slow process, through--while someone like Whitaker has just 27 cards stored in my complete sets with fewer than 50 "loose" cards to go through, Griffey is near 300 from sets alone, and I still have to sort through his loose stuff.  Hell, Ripken takes up more than one row of a monster box just in terms of his singles!  I'll try to attack this a bit at a time, though, because I know the result will be worth it.

So keep an eye out for posts where I highlight stuff that's been newly scanned into my PCs!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to do something like this, but man it would take forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not be quite as bad as I thought. From my complete sets I have something like 930 cards to scan, but I have dupes of a lot of those as singles so that might cut things down a bit. The end result will totally be worth it!

      Delete