Sunday, February 1, 2015

2015 trade package #5: a superb trade with the Angels in Order

(Apologies for today's brief post--it's Super Bowl Sunday, after all!  And I have a lot going on anyway)

Today's trade package is the last one I received for the month of January, and while I'd intended to post it sooner, today is a perfect day as it comes from a fellow Pats fan, Tom of the Angels in Order!  I don't want to get too confusing here as what he sent me is 100% baseball--all Tigers, in fact--but I thought that was something else we had in common that was cool.  Before the big game, here's a bunch of Motown Kitties:
Miggy Mania!  Cabrera outpaced everyone else in the package and I couldn't be happier that Tom picked the Triple Crown-winner to highlight what he sent.  My favorite from the bunch is the super cool Topps Opening Day Stars hologram insert.  Why is it that some of Topps' most interesting inserts are from their lowest-end set?  Plenty to like here regardless.
Here's some more to highlight in terms of past and present Tigers.  Castellanos starts the group alphabetically but I'd put his card at the top of this list anyway since it's the coolest of the bunch, and again, out of Opening Day!  The Fryman takes me back to the 90s, both in terms of his presence on the roster and the release of the Emotion set.  A trio of Topps parallels, including 40% of this year's rotation, caps things off.
Here's a few more inserts of guys I don't find as much in my PC.  Tom sent a double dose of Benoit, and I sure do wish he'd been in Detroit's bullpen last year.  The trio of Minis, including a pair of Cobbs, was cool as well.
Going oddball I got a quartet of cards of players playing on playing cards.  The first three are from a deck that highlighted rookies in '92 while Fielder's came out of a '91 All-Stars set.
And finally we flash back to the Tigers of old with Hal Newhouser and Johnny Pesky from Topps' '91 Archives set.  Pesky is more well-known for his time in Boston and his namesake foul pole, but he did appear in parts of three seasons in Detroit after a trade that sent George Kell to the Red Sox.

Tom, thanks again for a ton of Tigers that have me getting ready for Spring Training.  I'm happy to say that I've already started a new package to send your way at some point.  Readers, whether you like the Angels, Patriots, or none of the above, go head over to the Angels in Order before the Super Bowl!  Oh yeah, and consider this post my endorsement for Tom Brady, Alan Branch, and the New England Patriots in tonight's matchup with the Seahawks.

5 comments:

  1. Cool cards...and it's a happy day over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I'll bet it was! Congrats to your team (and some of my favorite players)

      Delete
  2. I'll have to grab that Pesky for my collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to send you this one if you want it since I'll be you'd appreciate it more than I would. He's definitely more of a Red Sox guy than a Tiger anyway.

      Delete