Monday, December 23, 2013

2013 trade package #33: cards from my BB4L PTSiA, so TTYL

To close out this year in trade packages (and likely, posts), here's some cards from one of everyone's favorite Californians, Greg Z. of Plaschke, Thy Sweater is Argyle!

You can see the rest of the package over on the sister blog, but Zakwin included some nice stuff that those of you who read this here blog might appreciate.

First off, here's the 100% awesome address label.  BB4L, yo!

So...yeah...um, cards...I was talking about cards.  Ok, here we go:
I'm lazy, so I'm literally copying/pasting what I wrote about this card on the other blog:  this Michigan card, displaying my state's motto--"If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you"--appears to hail from a company called Helmar Turkish Cigarettes, and was created in the early 1900s, predating even my grandparents!  Greg showed off a few such acquisitions here as well as here.  It's a very cool and unique piece to add to my collection, even if I don't know where exactly it fits.  Those bucks and eagle are here to tell you, "MICHIGAN!  FUCK YEAH!"

Greg then completely flipped the script by sending me cards that were produced during my lifetime:
A couple Lions from back when they were...well, I guess they haven't ever made any progress, so there's that.  Question:  do amateur players belong in "Pro Set"?
Here's one of the package's hits, a 2011 Limited jersey of concussion cautionary tale Jahvid Best.  If anybody's interested, please let me know as it's available for trade!

Now here's a couple teams that HAVE had success during my lifetime.  The Pro Set cards bring back happy memories of playing as the Wings on NHL '93-'95.  I'm happily adding to my Jimmy Howard collection despite his up-and-down-so-far career; the RC was especially fun to grab since it shows his college stats at Maine, and as I believe I've said multiple times, I saw the Wolverines defeat Jimmy and his Black Bears in the NCAA tourney about 10 years ago!

Hey, it's a trio of Ripkens!  I'm pretty sure I at least needed the two on the left, especially the fun Ginter insert.  Who doesn't enjoy some of these players' full names?  "Calvin Edwin Ripken Jr.," "George Kenneth Griffey Jr.," "Larry Wayne 'Chipper' Jones," etc.

Speaking of some somewhat successful teams during my lifetime, here's six cards of seven players that haven't won a title with Detroit.  Wait, that kind of came out wrong.  Anyway, it's a good group of players.  I'm guessing the Prince is called "Across the Years" because he's too large to fit within just one like everybody else.
Alex Avila 2012 Prime Cuts jersey
Finally, we have the hit I enjoyed the most in this post, a jersey of catcher Alex Avila.  It's a bit on the plain side, but I still appreciate that he's good enough to warrant a relic card at all.

Thanks again for another trade, Greg!  I'll Brie back next year to get more deals going with you (see what I did there?).  Readers, please validate all the time he puts into displaying cards of his man crushes over at Plaschke, Thy Sweater is Argyle.

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from TMV!

2 comments:

  1. I literally can't stop staring at the .gif.

    Appreciate the trade BB4L!

    ReplyDelete