Sunday, July 3, 2022

7/2/22 show report: freedom isn't free but dime boxes practically are

(I don't want to forget to mention that I didn't skip June's show, I just ended up with practically nothing to show off since almost all of it was trade bait destined for packages, many of which were shipped out, so it wasn't worth doing a recap.)

Like I said in last night's post I had a great time as usual at the monthly card show yesterday. For whatever reason the crowd was relatively small at the time I got there so I had a lot more breathing room and felt better about taking my time. First I worked on the $1 and $2 boxes and then I still had enough energy (and wasn't totally stiff from standing for an hour-plus) so I wandered over to the dime boxes. This time all of the boxes that weren't $1s and up were 10/$1 (he usually has quarter and $0.50 boxes) so I tried to take advantage of that while I could.

In the end I came home with 80 dime cards, 23 from the dollar box, and 20 more that were $2 apiece. Yes, that totals $71 and not that's not what I paid because this guy is awesome and told me my total was $60. Hell yeah! That's why I'm a repeat customer and pretty much make the monthly trip just to head to his table.

As usual, first you'll get a look at the general trade bait I scored that's up for grabs:

Everything here was a dime except for the Erickson ('91 Topps Desert Shield) and Anderson dual relic. Young is /475, Anderson is /200, Carlson is /125, Fasano is /897, Helu is /897, Jones is /249, and Ollison is /299. I'll grab numbered cards from dime boxes all day every day!
And the rest of the trade bait. Treadwell (/599) and the Jets insert (/800) were dime cards. No, Jeff, you don't need either Darboh (according to TCDB), though you're welcome to them if you like having dupes.

If you see anything you want please claim it in the comments!

Ok, now for the stuff I kept for myself:

Part 1: baseball. The first six came out of the dime boxes. The top three are 2020 Topps and Update Turkey Red inserts, and I thought it was cool getting two of Junior on the teams he's most known for. Meanwhile the GQ cards are 2013s. I grabbed a few more since I couldn't remember if I had them or not, and those ended up being dupes, but they'll happily find good homes soon enough. JV is a 2020 Topps Holiday card, and I can never have enough of his cards. And lastly, the Pudge jersey /250 from 2002 UD 40-Man was just $2 so it seemed well worth picking up. I now appear to have 10 hits of his, one of which is an autograph, with the other nine being relics like this one.

Part 2: basketball and football. Everything here except for the final two cards also came from the dime boxes. THJ's and Duncan Robinson's cards were the right color for me to pick up for sure. Transfer TE Asiasi's first Select card at the top was a RC need (my third of 13 if I'm tracking correctly) while I also added Prizm parallels of him and stud C Cesar Ruiz, all from the 2020 product. 2021 draftees Chris Evans and Kwity Paye are next and appear on the retail versions of their Panini Absolute cards from last year. You can tell the versions apart easily because despite both of them having that foil design, the hobby cards are serial numbered and these aren't.

And lastly I came up with two new football hits, both of which I believe were out of the $2 boxes. First is a large 2017 Spectra jersey swatch of the previously seen Darboh, numbered /199. It's my 42nd hit of the former WR, and like Jeff I have a crazy number of his better cards, probably because we keep helping each other out with dupes (mostly Jeff!). Joining him was transfer RB Justin Fargas (whose USC Trojans are joining the Big Ten!) on a 2003 Bowman Signs of the Future auto. Although I could have sworn I already had something of him I was wrong so this is my first hit of Huggy Bear Jr. That makes him the 232nd member of my football hits collection, which is nearing the 1600-card milestone, by the way.

As usual you can expect to see some of what I picked up in some blogger trade recaps once I get them mailed out, and the rest is available here or on TCDB. Until next show, have a great July and stay cool!


12 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind that Erickson. I'll see if I can round something up for it. Let me know if anything specific is what you are looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, I'm sending you an email, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see dealers giving price breaks on already good deals. It's a win/win situation because the buyer is likely to come back and spend more money there. Wish more dealers would do that in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it, Fuji! I hope you can get out here at some point so I can take you to that show, I know you'd love it!

      Delete
  3. I would love to find some cheap Desert Shields at a show sometime. As it stands, I've still yet to ever even seen one at a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to recall if I've seen another one besides the one I grabbed. Nothing at that price at least. Hopefully it's not fake but for a buck it was worth grabbing it.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff Dennis. I don't spy anything i need this round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And no worries, I grabbed some stuff for you as usual.

      Delete
  5. Wait, I need, oh, never mind! Lol.

    As I'm a dealer at card shows now, that's exactly what we do. Add it all up and knock some off, especially if they buy a bunch. It's just good business. As a buyer, I remember the dealers that do that as well and that makes me a repeat customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grabbed a few things for you including a Darboh you DO need! And that's definitely a great way to keep folks coming back to you so I'm glad it works for you.

      Delete