Tuesday, August 3, 2021

The "OMG what did I get myself into?" lot

Since I haven't posted in a while I wanted to give a quick update about what I'm up to. Though I've been working on (or slacking from working on) a trade post and have another to get to, plus lots more stuff, I recently made another enormous Facebook Marketplace purchase at a low price, and it's gonna take me a long while to go through everything:

This is the image from the Marketplace post, one that managed to undersell just how much stuff I'd bought.
And here's everything in my trunk. Yes, that's a football helmet (probably a high school one?). Those boxes are stuffed, and the USPS box is filled with souvenir cups. Like I said, a ton to sort through, but I'm excited about it. There's a ton of great stuff in here, almost all from the 90s (right in my wheelhouse!) and a surprising amount of very nice stuff--'94-'97 Finest, stacks of Refractors and other inserts--and I can't wait to show it off when I get organized. Three of the 5000-count boxes are bursting with mid-90s "commons" (in quotes since stars abound as well), one houses the aforementioned Finest, another is chock full of '96-'97 Donruss, and still there's more. It's easily the largest influx of cards at once I've ever dealt with and it came at the ridiculously low price of $30.

Besides showing things off I'm expecting to put some of this stuff up for sale and some for trade on TCDB, and lots of other stuff will get sent in trade packages or straight up given away because I love to share.

So stay tuned for more on this craziness once I've had more time to go through everything. And before then I promise to give thanks to the folks that sent me cool packages with trade posts, plus I need to cover a TCDB deal when that's complete, a couple eBay pickups, and the show I should be getting to on Friday. But if I'm still slow in posting you'll know why.

18 comments:

  1. Looking forward to see the haul...make sure to get rest, no staying up until 3 am sorting cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I've been doing it a bit at a time though I'd say I'm mostly enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! These are definitely one in a million (or maybe a bit more common, but not much more).

      Delete
  3. $30!? That's incredible! Wish I could get something like that. As DK said, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know. It looks like I managed to respond within like 10-20 minutes of the dude posting it, otherwise I probably would have completely missed it, so keep looking!

      Delete
  4. oh boy! That is a ton of cards but an absolute bargain for the price. Have dun sorting through all of that.

    I've started setting aside some cards for you.. but I guess I'll hold on to them for a while :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely something I enjoy doing, and I'm getting a really good look at one of my favorite decades for collecting, the 90s.

      And thanks for setting some stuff aside for me. I need to pile up more for you, especially whenever I can find good dime/quarter/$1 stuff at my usual show.

      Delete
  5. These are my favorites, and at worst you'll get your money back by just moving the bulk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you're right! And you seem to have bought a few collections, so I'm curious to see how this one compares to your experiences.

      Delete
  6. Awesome! Have fun going through all of those boxes! Super jealous of those stacks of Refractors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji! You never know, I might just be spreading some of that wealth...

      Delete
  7. Did you say refractors from.the 90s and 90s inserts??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Did someone just activate the Matt signal?"

      Delete
  8. That's gonna make for a lotta blog posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're giving me too much credit considering how lazy and unmotivated to blog I get! But I will be trying to do one or more posts covering what I got, what I'm doing with it, and what's available, so we'll see.

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to the highlights! Congrats on the big deal!

    ReplyDelete