Saturday, November 14, 2020

2020 eBay purchases: 2020 sucks, Butt I love my Wolverines Henneway

I think a lot of people would like a do-over for 2020, if not a chance to just skip it entirely, for a multitude of reasons. Annoyingly, the garbage fire that has been this year has carried over to my college football team, which started nicely with a win over ranked Minnesota, only to completely undo any good feelings with losses to MSU (bleargh) and a seemingly good Indiana team. There's potential for even more suck as the Wolverines return home to face Wisconsin and however many players they have that aren't suspected of having COVID. Then again, it's also an opportunity to get things back on track for underperforming coach Jim Harbaugh and his program. Hell, at least we aren't Penn State!

While we continue to ride out 2020 and COVID's co-disease, Donald Trump (at least one of them will be gone in January!), I'm still picking up some PC items when I can. Over the last few weeks that includes a nice pair of Michigan plates I scored on eBay:

#1 is this 2013 Topps black plate of blog favorite QB Chad Henne, my first of the four in the 1/1 set (though he does appear on Jacksonville team card as well). I think you all know how much I like to chase his cards, and since he's one of my top PC guys I don't mind spending a bit more than I usually would on his nicer stuff. In this case that was a bit under $14 delivered the day before Halloween.


While this wasn't the reason I grabbed it, I did enjoy the fact that Henne had done the following a few days earlier, 
accounting for his first TD since 2014 and first rushing score since 2012, both with the Jags. Of course he now backs up Super Bowl champ Pat Mahomes, meaning he's got a pretty cushy gig mostly riding the pine and making some money with the defending champs. Good for him! And what's good for me is that this is my eighth 1/1 of the former Michigan QB.

And then just this past week I cut a best offer deal with a fellow Michigander for this 2017 Donruss black plate (inserted into 2017 Plates & Patches) of former UM TE Jake Butt. It came out to just a bit over $9 after shipping and tax, and the seller managed to PWE to me quickly enough that it arrived today. I was fine with the PWE because he packaged it well and only asked $0.70 for shipping.

This plate version of Jake's 2017 Donruss RC (which I do own) is already my second 1/1 of his as I also own one he shares with fellow 2017 draftee Taco Charlton. $9 might seem kind of high for some of you considering we're talking about a player like J-Booty, but he was a lot of fun to watch in college as a big TE target. Unfortunately his NFL career started off on the wrong foot after he tore his ACL in Michigan's 2017 Orange Bowl loss to Florida State, then dealt with further ailments in the league. He at least seems to be doing ok this year for now, and I hope his health continues to trend in that direction.

With card purchases few and far between for me this year given the circumstances making it more difficult to buy stuff, I've been in better position to grab nicer cards like this, so that's been a silver lining. And I'm looking to apply that kind of positive thinking to what's continued to be a strange college football season, the results of which I'm largely taking with a grain of salt anyway. I'll be glad if the Wolverines can stay healthy, and making it through the remainder of the season while winning a few more games would be a nice bonus at this point. Go Blue!

6 comments:

  1. It not very often that you see 'Butt' in a blog title :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm rebranding--I had packaging from a vibrator a couple posts ago!

      Delete
  2. I've got 1/20/21 circled on my calendar. Hallelujah. Okay... that's as political as I'll get. Nice Butt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, my dude. Glad you like my Butt--does it make the rest of me look big?

      Delete
  3. Well I am late to the butt jokes but nice pickups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late, but if you'd like you can bring up the rear!

      Delete