Wednesday, September 30, 2020

2020 trade package #29: a Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts

 

Moving on from the last post to this one, we're going from "one of one" to "One of a Kind." More on that in a minute, but first I want to start as usual by introducing today's sender.

Jon who runs A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts decided to celebrate his excellent blog's fifth anniversary a couple weeks ago with a cool one-card PWE giveaway. There was lots of nice stuff to choose from, and my eye caught a player I like to collect, so I happily claimed the card, and not long after I received it:
Here we have former Michigan catcher Mike Matheny on a parallel of his 1998 Stadium Club base card called One of a Kind. While the more familiar First Day Issue versions were available in that year's retail packs, this insert was rarer (#d /150 instead of 200) and available only in Hobby and HTA packs. Besides the numbering you'll find two main differences between these and the base cards: the foil background and logo in the corner. Naturally they don't scan as well as they look in hand but hopefully you get the idea.

I was glad to add a new card of the former Card/Brewer/Giant/Jay, ex-Cards manager, and current skipper of the Royals, because I just don't get to do so that often these days. That it was a rarer numbered 90s parallel was a huge bonus. It marks the 103rd card of Matheny in my collection.

Many thanks to Jon for celebrating a nice achievement with some generosity! Here's to many more years of A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts. I'll do my best to provide some content for him in the form of a return package, possibly a PWE of my own. The rest of you should make sure to follow him if you aren't, and keep an eye out for more posts around the blogosphere celebrating receiving cards from a great member of the community!

6 comments:

  1. Nice card. This is the 2nd... possibly the 3rd or 4th APSFYT freebie post of the day. Kudos to Jon for hooking collectors up with some really nice stuff. I really like these 1998 SC parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he and Wes came up with some great ideas to get cards moving around! Definitely very cool of Jon here and I'll do my best to pay him back in kind. I do enjoy these parallels myself.

      Delete
  2. Wow, 20+ years later and I'm just now learning how the First Day Issue's and One of a Kind's were distributed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baseballcardpedia is an awesome resource for stuff like that! Thanks again, buddy.

      Delete
  3. That was a great snag by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I'm hardly the only one who got something really nice from Jon :)

      Delete