Wednesday, April 15, 2020

2020 trade package #8: a Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts

You know, whenever I say "let's trade again soon!" in notes I include in my trade packages, I do mean it, I just usually don't expect it to actually come true that quickly.  And yet, just a few weeks after I posted cards from my first deal with Jon at A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts, another envelope with his name on it was in my mailbox!

He was nice enough to include a note that alerted me to the fact that one of the items could easily be lost.  Forewarned, I carefully extracted them:
First is a pair of new cards for my nascent Ted Simmons collection.  In case I didn't explain it before, I wasn't actively collecting him because I didn't think he had any affiliation with UM, and in fact he didn't play baseball for the Wolverines, but he was a student here, and therefore fits the definition of a Michigan alum and someone I collect.

Almost everything I already had of him was from my complete Topps sets from the 80s, so the two you see above are among the oldest of the 17 I have.  On the left is a '75 Hostess oddball--my only 70s card of his for now--with the usual inconsistent quality of the cut-out job increasing its charm.  The smaller item I had to be careful to remove is an '81 Topps Sticker of the HOFer, and I think he's wondering if you've ever played ball for the Brewers...onnnnn weeeeeeeeed?

The other card today is a 2013-14 Prizm HRX insert of THJ.  This is actually the fourth Hardaway insert Jon's sent me going back to the last envelope, which actually had three other Prizm inserts, all of which are different.  For those of you that never saw these inserts in the basketball/football/hockey products, HRX started out as a redemption for a card with an embedded video, then eventually morphed into what you see above, with a QR code on the back you'd scan to see an "exclusive video."  Kind of like UD's PowerDeck, but with more work!

Jon, thanks for getting me back with another envelope so soon plus adding to a couple of my smaller PCs!  I'll keep working on looking for some stuff you might like so I can return the favor when it makes sense.

6 comments:

  1. That Hostess Simmons is awesome! I don't actively collect him... but his 2018 Archives Fan Favorite autograph is high on my wantlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those Hostess cards are always fun! I'd sure like that autograph myself and I hope you get one.

      Delete
  2. Ooo... a Half Baked reference! By the by, don't be too surprised if another PWE shows up sometime in the next couple of weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm will have to add tim hardaway to you list on my end....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Good thing there's lots of players I can look for for you.

      Delete