Tuesday, March 31, 2020

TCDB trade: jmswyo


As it turns out warming up to both Twitter and the TCDB have paid off in my collecting life.  One recent example:  I noticed someone on the former posting a mail day arranged on the latter from Paul.  Since my trading experience with TCDB is in its early stages it was nice to have feedback from someone I trust that this person was good to deal with.  It also helped that the post told me exactly what he collected.

That trader was my fellow Michigander Matthew, of Grand Rapids, who can be found on both sites I mentioned with the handle jmswyo (Twitter, TCDB).  Not only is he a team collector, but he chases a franchise whose cards I've piled up for a while for lack of a trade partner: the Royals.  I had a pretty good sized stack that was mostly base with a few inserts, plus a couple relics I'd picked up at past shows.  So I was more than happy to send them his way, for his #RoyalsCardQuest, since he'd appreciate them, plus I could get a few things back as well.

That included a few trade bait items that'll be going out in future packages, plus this stuff that's staying right here with me:
We'll start with five 2020 Topps Tigers, all of whom could be on the roster if there's a season this year.  I've got more than 300 cards of Miggy but my collections of the other guys are small to minimal, though I do have a growing pile of Stewarts.  For what it's worth, at the moment Demeritte appears to have a brighter future in the Tigers outfield than Stewart, but maybe that'll change.

Next is a trio of former Tigers, not all of whom are pictured in Detroit unis.  I've gotten back in to chasing cards of some of the stars and favorites I watched growing up, and TCDB is a great source for picking those up without paying a thing (besides shipping).  One of those is the well known Cecil Fielder, seen on a pair of '92s:  the oddball MooTown Snackers, plus O-Pee-Chee's last set that paralleled Topps' flagship.  Speaking of that brand, the late Tony Phillips represents the '93 version, and he's another guy I've started appreciating more as I've gotten older, though the poor man's Rickey Henderson is a guy I certainly rooted for in my younger days.

And it's no surprise that Matthew had a dupe of '85 Series champ Pat Sheridan ('86 Fleer), an Ann Arbor native who went to nearby Eastern Michigan and eventually played in Detroit from '86-'89, making him another name I remember from my youth.
This next scan includes a couple more Tigers in smaller, stickier form.  Miggy's joined by another recent favorite, 2B Ian Kinsler, on 2018 Topps Stickers.

I also managed to grab a new Hal Morris item from '95 US Playing Cards, getting him closer to 300 cards.  Keeping up with the oddball theme is PC leader Cal (960 cards) on a 1992 Score/Proctor and Gamble collaboration.
   
And we'll end the post with the oddest--and coolest--item of all.  This product, made in 1989 by Topps, was called Doubleheader All-Stars, and it's basically a plastic stand (in my case slightly broken but easily fixed) that encases a thin, double-sided magazine paper-like piece that shows the player on his '89 Topps card and Topps RC on the reverse.
   
Here's a look at the paper outside of the case at what's pretty much actual size.  It's definitely a cool piece, not to mention something I hadn't seen before, and I may eventually have to display it since it's designed for just that.

Many thanks to Matthew for another great TCDB experience!  I'll go ahead and spoil that it led to a pending deal with another collector in the state, a trade that's huge in terms of the number of cards going back and forth.  So consider this post my thumbs up to using Twitter and TCDB for trading purposes.

More trade and other pickups to come soon!

6 comments:

  1. I remember those DoubleHeaders! They were one of my favorite oddball things to collect as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! I don't remember them at all but I'm glad to know about them now.

      Delete
  2. For some reason I don't remember the double-headers... I also recently traded with jmswyo on TCDB. Excellent trader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same here, so I'm fortunate to have pick them out of his trade bait! And I agree, he's a good dude.

      Delete
  3. I opened up all of my double-headers... tossed the plastic stands... and put them into penny sleeves. They're very cool oddballs... but they were taking up too much space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get doing that unless you plan on displaying them because those cases do eat up space. I don't put cards in pages, just boxes, and those aren't really designed for that either, so I'm keeping Gibby's plus some of his other oddball stuff like coins in a snap case big enough to hold everything.

      Delete