Friday, February 21, 2020

2020 trade package #2: Sport Card Collectors

You just never know what you might get when you're lucky enough to receive a surprise PWE from Matt over at Sport Card Collectors.  Of the many he's sent me, quite a few included some new stuff for my Ken Griffey Jr. PC since he's a guy we both collect.  That's why the one I'm posting today was a bit out of the ordinary, though in a great way!  Check out the cards and see what I mean:
#1 is the first of what I hope will be many autographs of former Michigan pitcher Tommy Henry in my PC.  It hails from 2019 Bowman Draft Chrome, and the numbering on the front is your best indicator in the scan that it's the Refractor version, since that trademark shine didn't really come through as much as I would like.  Henry's got a great signature and a Refractor's always a plus so I was really excited to pop this one out of the envelope.
I was scanning the back to put up on TCDB anyway so I thought I'd include it here for a couple reasons.  One is the (unfortunately way too small) "*Played at Michigan" note, and the other is that it points out his birthplace of Portage, Michigan, which I figured John might like!
Second is this very cool Ripken insert.  Before removing it from Matt's perfect packaging job I thought it was die-cut but then I noticed it's acetate, which is very cool.  I hadn't seen these before though I was at least able to guess it was related to Topps High Tek.  Indeed, it's from the 2019 version, an insert called PortraiTEK, and its shiny, see-through nature won me over, plus it's even serial-numbered.  Who knew that Topps was capable of producing something like this that I like so much?
Matt then tripled my collection of NCAA hero Jordan Poole thanks to this pair from 2019-20 Prizm Draft.  I wasn't aware that the base set includes multiple cards of some of the players so I'm happy to benefit from that in the form of two new Michigan uni issues (though I'm not sure how both could be deemed "RC"s?).  Here's hoping my collection of Poole grows along with his development with Golden State.
Last up today is Michigan WR/returner legend Desmond Howard on a beautifully colorful card from 1992 Classic Four Sport.  Classic tended to be a lower-end brand but it's nice to see that even in '92 they could make cards like this that really popped, going for a modern design that made the Topps and Fleer looks at the time appear positively ancient.

Matt, thanks again for another outstanding PWE!  I'm looking forward to helping you fill out your Kerry Collins collection soon, and maybe I can add to that at an upcoming show.

6 comments:

  1. #1 That Ripken card is great. The acetate, the shine, and a great picture.
    #2 The 1992 Classic 4-Sport Desmond Howard was THE card to have when we were kids.

    Nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is! And I remember Des's Heisman year but I wasn't collecting then so I missed out on the card hype.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed Buddy!! I have more to come down the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait! And maybe I can hit you back in the meantime.

      Delete
  3. That's a great photo of Desmond. Hard to believe that it's almost been thirty years since collectors were chasing those first trading cards of his.

    ReplyDelete