Friday, November 1, 2019

2019 eBay purchases: celebrating 1000 one 1/1 at a time

My very first post on this blog was published on Saturday, August 28, 2010.  I explained the origins of the then-title, "Too Many Grandersons," then teased some upcoming box breaks after I went crazy online buying boxes I promised to show off and review.

It's crazy how much can change in nine-plus years.  I don't tend to mark this blog's birthday because I almost always forget, but today's a big enough occasion to celebrate:  I've finally hit post #1,000!

If any of you are like "It's been 3500 days since your first post and you're just now getting to 1K?" I get it.  I'm lazy and I don't know how so many of you post nearly every day, so I give you all the credit in the world for doing so.  Then again, I do have one excuse in my pocket:  I started up my sister blog Too Many Manninghams on New Year's Day in 2012 and got to 800+ posts over there.

Anyway, 1,000 posts seems like a fun thing to celebrate tonight since it's evidence that I've stuck with this blog long enough to reach that mark, and generally had fun doing it.  Better yet, I'd say that it's changed my collecting style for the positive; No more throwing away money on boxes and packs, way more focus on what I want to collect, and so many friends made trading.  Thank you all that have kept me going for this long, and here's to 1,000 more!

So, with all that said, how am I celebrating?  Well, I'm finally going to reveal some eBay purchases I made over the last few months about which I've been very secretive.  I'll explain why it took so long in a bit, but we've gone long enough in this post without you seeing cards, which is why you're here, so let's get to it--a whole mess of 1/1s!
Everything you see in today's post except one card--I'll point it out--came from my favorite eBay seller, a former Michigan supercollector.  He began clearing stuff out and I benefited from that bigtime.  We're starting with a trio of oddball-ish 1/1s.  This Clayton Richard (1/1 #8 for him) is the only one of the three I actually paid for, and it took all of a paltry $1.25 (free shipping) to get it.  

Some of you might be aware of the goofy buyback 1/1s Topps made to celebrate stuff like their 65th anniversary or those opulent Transcendent parties.  This one represents the former, taking a 2014 Topps 1st Edition set card and giving it 65th Anniversary and 1/1 stamps (the latter to the left of his hat) to mark the occasion.  I wasn't gonna throw much money at an auction like this since I don't overpay for 1/1s as it is, and less so for non-standard ones.  The price was definitely right in this case.
I've said multiple times that I love buying from this seller, not only because his prices are great and he offers free shipping, but on a few occasions he's even thrown in free cards--and I don't mean some '88 Donruss puzzle pieces for protection, I'm talking real-ass cards!  Both of the Rich Hills here were included that way, one of which came with the above Richard, I believe.  That's insane since I already said I paid him $1.25 for it!
Anyway, both of these were prizes for 2018 Topps Transcendent VIP Party attendees and made their way into my hands eventually.  Up top is a stamped 2017 Topps Chrome Sapphire base while below you see a 2018 Topps Preview that got the same treatment.  The former's 1/1 numbering is difficult to see in my scan, in the bottom-right corner, while the latter's scan looks much better.
That wasn't it as far as Hill 1/1s go as I also came away with a regular Yellow Plate card from 2017 Topps, at a cost of about $13 shipped from a different seller.  $10+shipping is a price I'm generally willing to pay for my favorite baseball PC guy so this worked out nicely.
And now we're back to the original seller, which is where some of the confusion came in.  I won a total of five other auctions of his where he was selling Hill 1/1s from 2008 Triple Threads, each setting me back from about $20-$25.  While I thought I had a handle on all of the versions I was dead wrong.  At least I was able to identify this one as the Platinum parallel of the variation of his appearance (you can tell by the "CHC" pattern instead of three stars), which looks similar to the base versions but includes holographic foil and a 1/1 stamp up front.  So far, so good.
In the meantime he also posted these White Whales one at a time, and with a couple already in hand I got excited at the prospect of owning all of them.  My puzzlement started when he put a second "MLB" patterned card up.  I thought there was only one White Whale per version?  Also, there was a new pattern, the one with the sport's logo, not used on the regular cards.  How many of these were made?!

I'm currently awaiting some help from someone else on the Blowout Cards Forums who collected some of these but the consensus seems to be that all four plate colors exist for each White Whale, which is not how they're currently cataloged on TCDB or Beckett's OPG.  Until I can get all the versions of the White Whales I have cleared up I'm not officially adding these four to my count just yet, but I'm looking forward to getting an accurate checklist and chasing the rest.  In the meantime it was a coup to add so many high-end Hills!

Again, thanks to all of you who've stuck around for 1,000 posts.  #1,001 tomorrow will be the usual Saturday Michigan Gameday post, and then I'll either return to Sportlots pickups or do a quick write-up of the monthly show I hit today, all as I slowly march to my next 1,000 posts.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting to 1,000 posts, Dennis! As for how long it took you to get here, well, it doesn't seem that long to me -- although it'll probably take me roughly the same amount of time, if not more, to duplicate this feat, so I might not be the best person to comment on such things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon! Good luck on your own quest to 1K!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 1,000! Keep doing what you're doing and have fun at the card show! I always look forward to seeing what things you add to your collection that way.

    When it comes to finding cards that Beckett and TCDB don't list, I have found plenty of Rodney Hamptons I own that neither list as well. I do find Beckett to have more accurate chcklist however. They have over 800 Rodney's listed and last I checked TCDB only had 500 which isn't true because I am well into 600 on him lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! Found a couple more things for you at the show, by the way. Both those sites are a mixed bag but TCDB nine times out of 10 has the correct numbering whereas Beckett relies on original checklists, meaning they often have Panini cards numbered 1, 2, 3, when they're actually [Insert Title]-[Initials], like "RJ-CH." That said, Beckett's more likely to have the contents of checklists correct for now. BUT, they don't seem to correct anything either while TCDB is open to fixes, assuming someone notices errors.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the 1K milestone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! I appreciate people like you and Jon, among others, that read and comment quite often!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on 1k Dennis! Your post inspired me to check where I am. Just realized I posted my 2k back on 10/19. Oh well. Maybe I'll do something special for 3k... if I'm still blogging.

    That's really cool that you were able to land all of those 1/1's. I'm interested in hearing what the deal is on all of those Triple Threads White Whales. I think the four plates per card makes the most sense, but who knows with Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Fuji! I'm definitely not surprised you surpassed 2K since you're very consistent--consistently awesome!

    ReplyDelete