Saturday, October 19, 2019

2019 trade package #31: Sport Card Collectors

Sport Card Collectors
It's another college football Saturday on a beautiful fall afternoon in Ann Arbor, but with tonight's game kicking off in prime time, now's a great time to show off the latest PWE I received from Matt over at Sport Card CollectorsYesterday he covered the most recent mailer I sent him, and now I get to return the favor:

We'll start off with the newest addition to my Miguel Cabrera collection (293 cards), a Flame parallel from this year's Topps Fire product.  TCDB continues to be a valuable resource as I was able to determine it was that version instead of the base, which has a different background.  He's joined by fellow great Ken Griffey Jr., a dude both of us love to collect, and in this case it's a 2000 UD insert called Prime Performers.  The stats are a bit tough to read but they highlight some truly excellent numbers by Junior in 1999, the final season of his main tenure with Seattle:  48 HR, a .285 average with 173 hits, and 134 RBI.  Of course he then moved on to the Reds, and he's pictured with them here, finishing off his trademark swing.

Next is a pair of cards that are very relevant on this college football Saturday.  Although I already had an Orange parallel of stud DE Rashan Gary's 2019 Panini Legacy issue, I had neither his RC nor the Indigo parallel (#04/25) you see above.  Legacy has a decent design that I appreciate since these are rocking college unis, and the different colors look great.  I'm thrilled to knock another first-year off the checklist--just my second of the 14 Gary rookies I'm tracking so far--and add a sweet low-numbered insert to get me up to five of the Packers rookies cards.

The last pair today also covers another Wolverines team that's in action this evening, with the 1-1-1 hockey team looking for a second straight win against former CCHA league-mate Lake Superior State.  1993 Classic Hockey Draft brings us two more Michigan uniform cards thanks to that brand's hard work bringing collectors affordable if low-end cards of their favorite non-pro teams.  As I was adding David Roberts (4) and Aaron Ward (6) here to TCDB I noticed that, with Chris Tamer's card already in-hand, I now had all three Wolverines in the set thanks to Matt!  The former, not to be confused with the strategically-challenged Dodgers manager, put up four great seasons in Ann Arbor before getting a bit of time in the league with the Blues, Oilers, and Canucks, while the latter is a WolverWing who won cups with Detroit and Carolina during a quality 15-year career.  I love seeing both back in their college days here.

Matt, thanks again for another fun PWE!  While you continue to send these my way I'll keep reloading at the monthly shows to return fire.

4 comments:

  1. After looking at the cards above, I see I need to get some Michigan uniformed hockey cards in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you're correct! I don't think I have any dupes but if I do I'll send them your way.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed!I have many more surprises ahead. Going to try to get one out tomorrow to head your way.

    ReplyDelete