Monday, August 19, 2019

2019 trade package #24: Sport Card Collectors

Sport Card Collectors
The latest trade envelope to hit my mailbox this month came courtesy of Matt at Sport Card Collectors Parts of My Past Sport Card Collectors.  Regardless of the name of his blog, he sent another fun PWE that included one card I'd asked for and five others I was happy to get:
If Matt ever sends me a PWE without some Griffeys in it I'll know it's a sign that he's being held prisoner in his basement by an impostor, so I'll call the police immediately.  Gotta keep that Junior pipeline rolling!  This time they include:
  • 1999 Ultra checklist:  this came out more than a decade before the Obama "not bad" meme Image result for obama not bad
  • 2007 UD Elements:  not a brand I see very often at all, at least not the base set anyway (the Clear Cut Elements and Elemental Autographs are more familiar)
  • 2008 UD First Edition StarQuest:  this insert set never really shook its low-endedness from its humble origins in Collector's Choice, but there's no way you can go wrong when you got a photo of a classic swing like that!
  • 2008 Upper Deck Documentary (#1873):  UD's silliest product by far.  "Veteran slugger launches 16th home run in loss" announces the front, but as usual, the player on top doesn't correspond to the game described on the back.  In this case Adam Dunn was the Red that homered.  Not a bad design at all, just a poorly-executed idea
  • 2008 SPx Ken Griffey Jr. American Hero (#KG70) (#565/725):  this is just my third from the 100-card set that combines shininess, numbering, and Kenny's sweet swing, straight out of the baseball card pyramid of awesomeness
Besides the Juniors there was this:
Back in late July Matt busted open a hobby factory set of 2019 Topps, and that box included a pack of five Sparkle Foil parallels.  He was lucky enough to find this Rich Hill (#025/162) in that pack, and I immediately claimed it.  These different factory set parallels tend to pop up every year so I was happy to be able to knock this one off my list as just my second Hill from the product after the base card.  It's also Hill #299 that's in-hand, scanned, and posted, so it's almost-milestone time!

Matt, thanks again for another fun PWE.  I'm looking forward to your write-up of the latest goodies I sent your way!

8 comments:

  1. Cool Rich Hill parallel! I have a handful of Elements cards left over from a Pack War game. They are kinda neat, but probably overpriced for a 5-card pack IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm of course excited to get that Hill. I've gotten to the point where I think most packs/boxes are way overpriced for what you get, but then again I'm kind of still stuck in the early 2000s when Topps boxes were a good buy at $30-$40.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed! And yes, expect more Griffeys to come even though I am getting towards the end of what I got to offer lol. For now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always, thanks! And no worries when you run out. All good things...

      Delete
  3. Very cool Hill. Had no clue there were additional factory set parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're somewhat annoying to track down because you have to count on people busting open factory sets, which usually include just a few, so they can come at a premium, at least initially.

      Delete
  4. That Sparkle Foil is awesome. Now I’m down a rabbit hole scouring the internet to see if I could put together a Pirates set....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would take you a bit but I can't imagine it couldn't be done!

      Delete