Friday, November 23, 2018

2018 trade package #24: Sport Card Collectors

Sport Card Collectors
After another of my usual unscheduled "I don't feel like blogging" breaks I'm back and thankful to be showing off cards from two trade packages!  Please head on over to TMM this evening for a Canadian-American Thanksgiving celebration.

Meanwhile, Matt of Sport Card Collectors was nice enough to let me know another of his signature PWEs was on the way, and it indeed arrived a few days ago, packed with cards of a team I'm thankful to have rooted for all my life:
As he often did at games I enjoyed in recent years, 2B Ian Kinsler will lead things off.  Kinsler benefited from his trade to the Angels after the 2017 season because they ended up flipping him to the Red Sox, allowing him to finally get a ring.  This 2016 Stadium Club ISOmetrics insert highlights his 6.0 WAR (fWAR, I'm guessing) in 2015, a typical season for the talented second-bagger.

Joining him is a duo of inserts of now-former Tiger Victor Martinez, who finally retired after the 2018 season.  I'm one of many who wish the Tigers hadn't extended him a few years ago, but I do appreciate what he did over his seven years in the Motor City, not to mention a pretty solid MLB career overall.  In this scan he appears on a 2015 Elite Gold Stars insert plus a 2016 Gypsy Queen Green Mini (#58/99).

The last player in this group is Max Scherzer, a pitcher who hasn't finished lower than fifth in Cy Young voting since 2013, his fourth season with Detroit, when he won his first of three such awards.  His two-year streak in the NL was broken by Jacob deGrom's insane performance this year, but second-best isn't bad at all.  Neither is that 2014 Topps Heritage Red Border parallel.
Matt surprised me by sending this pair of 2012 Elite autographs along for the ride.  On the left is former pitcher Will Clinard (#177/790), a low pick in 2012 that was out of the game in 2015 but landed on his feet with an insurance job.

The pitcher on his right, Drew VerHagen (#111/699) has enjoyed a bit more success after being selected in the fourth round that same year.  He's appeared in 105 games over five seasons, all with Detroit, mostly contributing out of the pen with the occasional spot start.  As far as I can tell he's likely to remain with the team as they continue to rebuild.

Thanks for another fun PWE, Matt, and I'm looking forward to hitting you back for your multiple trade packages with a nice early Christmas present!

8 comments:

  1. Dang. I knew Scherzer was one of the best pitchers in baseball... but reading this post really puts things into perspective. Looks like I need to go out and find an on-card autograph of his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think we appreciated him here in Detroit and understood we wouldn't be able to afford him. He was fun while he lasted, though, and now at least we don't have to face him!

      Delete
  2. Strong PWE there. ISO stats are over my head but Kinsler did a solid job for the Red Sox this year. Nice to see him (and Mitch Moreland) rewarded with a ring after coming so close in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, didn't want your guys to win but at least I'm happy for a few of them. "Strong" is definitely the word for SCC's PWE game.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed! I should have another your way before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scherzer truly is amazing .Great cards there. Always exciting seeing what is in the box.

    ReplyDelete