Wednesday, October 17, 2018

My five minute post: baseball autographed memorabilia

A couple weeks ago Daniel from It's Like Having My Own Card Shop experimented with something to help him get back into blogging after a bad month or more that included unexpectedly losing his mom:  writing a post in five minutes.  A blogger with my favorite URL--"betterthanbeckett.blogspot.com"--who also just impressively completed his awesome First Night Game at Wrigley autograph collection, Daniel came up with a fun and useful idea, especially for folks like me that enjoy the scanning, checklisting, and sometimes draft preparation of blog-writing but sometimes dread the actual writing part.  In my case I think I just demand too much of myself.

Anyway, I'm fortunate to be able to try such a post under better circumstances, and I happened to have an idea already in the pipeline that would work well:  my collection of baseball autographed memorabilia.  I posted on it here years ago, but many of my old posts have dead links to images, plus I like to have everything I scan cataloged in Google albums at this point.  So I took the opportunity to take some improved photos.  That was especially useful when it came to my baseballs signed by multiple players.  Now you can see every signature!
It's been a long time since I added to this collection since the shows I go to rarely have quality signers, if any, and some of their prices have gotten ridiculous.  That makes me appreciate what I do have even more, though I'll continue adding to it as I can.  You can always view this album under the "My personal collections" section to your right.

While this will probably put me over five minutes (as if I haven't run over yet--but at least this has gotten me writing!), I'll do a quick recap of how I acquired each item:
  • In-person at a show:  
    • Bob Feller hat, 8x10, HOF program, and ROMLB
    • Fergie Jenkins HOF program
    • Willie Stargell 8x10
    • Matt Anderson/Gabe Kapler bat (combined signing)
    • Willie Stargell/Fergie Jenkins/Warren Spahn/Gaylord Perry ROMLB (separate signings)
    • Detroit Tigers baseball signed by Al Kaline, A.J. Sager, Rick Leach, Gabe Kapler, Matt Anderson, Willie Horton, Don Wert, "Paws", and Mickey Lolich (separate signings)
  • Purchased:
    • Bill Freehan 8x10
    • Rich Hill ROMLB
  • Traded to me:
    • Barry Larkin 8x10 (Play at the Plate)
    • Scott Rolen ROMLB (from a 1998 Skybox Dugout Axcess redemption)
  • Gift:
    • Bill Freehan photo  (my mom's former boss)
    • Kirk Gibson helmet  (Christmas present from my brother)
    • Sandy Koufax/Tommy Lasorda/Walt Alston ROMLB  (from my uncle via a friend of his who was a Spring Training bullpen catcher back in the day)
Thanks, Daniel, for the motivation to get posting a bit more (and helping me realize that there's plenty of value in brevity).  Good luck as you get back into the habit--it's great to have you back!

7 comments:

  1. I've bandied about the idea of buying a few signed baseballs over the years, but have never pulled the trigger due to the cost.

    When it's presented like this though, it makes want to revisit the idea again. Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robert, I hope you do find something like one of these to add to your awesome collection. In-person is the best (when the price is right)

      Delete
  2. LOVE those Freehan photos, of course....and, Oh My... Rich Hill... GO BLUE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, knew you'd like those! The Hill came from a UM-related charity auction a few years ago so it wasn't something I got in-person but I still love it (especially the inscription!)

      Delete
  3. Awesome collection! Love the Feller hat. Haven't picked up any recently... but I started an autograph hat collection a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji! That's just a standard cheapo hat we probably bought for like $5 and wore a few times before we had Feller sign it. Super nice guy, so we were thrilled to meet him twice.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Matt! And I believe you've given me yet another blog to follow.

    ReplyDelete