Saturday, April 21, 2018

Blog Bat Around: My All Autograph Team

I had something else ready to go and then saw Zippy Zappy's very cool Blog Bat Around idea and decided to participate in that instead today.  It's a fun topic for a post, I haven't done one of these yet, and it's also a great way to show off some of my best cards!

I'm sticking with his format of all eight field positions, a DH/Utility guy, starter, two RPs, and a closer, while also adding in a manager because I can.  While his "rules" allow for non-card items, which would have given me a few other options, I was able to find enough cards to be satisfied with my group.  You'll see that I also mention other players I considered, plus to make things more interesting I'll try to remember how I acquired each item you see.

On to the cards!
Catcher:  Joe Mauer
Hall of Fame?:  Possibly!
Career bWAR (as of 4/21/18):  54.5
Card:  2002 Bowman's Best auto RC
Acquired:  Online forum trade
Also considered:  Bill Freehan
I only have a couple other autographs of catchers handy, with former Tiger Lance Parrish being a runner-up.  But Mauer's the easy choice, even if he's no longer behind the dish.  I do wonder if he'll be able to do enough in his last few years to make it to Cooperstown.
First base:  Stan Musial
Hall of Fame?:  1969
Career bWAR:  128.2
Card:  2004 Donruss Leather & Lumber Leathercuts auto (#84/96)
Acquired:  Blowout forums purchase
Also considered:  Miguel Cabrera
With apologies to Miggy, there's no better 1B (for about half of his career games anyway) in my PC than "The Man".  His career bWAR is good for for 11th all-time on the strength of three MVPs and World Series titles each, plus seven batting titles!
Second base:  Charlie Gehringer
Hall of Fame?:  1949
Career bWAR:  80.7
Card:  2005 SP Legendary Cuts Autograph Cuts auto (#76/97)
Acquired:  eBay
Also considered:  Lou Whitaker
You all know I love me some Whitaker but "The Mechanical Man" was an easy choice as the #5 overall 2B according to JAWS.  The 1937 AL MVP was a key player in Detroit's 1935 World Series victory over the Cubs, and hopefully he'll be joined in Cooperstown by "Sweet" Lou someday!
Third base:  Brooks Robinson
Hall of Fame?:  1983
Career bWAR:  78.4
Card:  2002 Sweet Spot Classics Classic Signatures auto
Acquired:  At a show, maybe?
Also considered:  Nobody
I really have a dearth of good 3B autographs, but that's because it's feast or famine at the position.  Schmidt, Boggs, and Brett have never been guys I've chased plus their stuff is generally high-end.  Chipper Jones' stuff is similarly pricey, and Adrian Beltre's another guy whose signature isn't in any of my PCs.  That's ok, though, because the "Human Vacuum Cleaner" is more than worthy to represent the position here thanks to 18 All-Star games, 16 Gold Gloves, an MVP, and two rings, including a Series MVP nod.
Shortstop:  Cal Ripken Jr.
Hall of Fame?:  2007
Career bWAR:  95.9
Card:  2008 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink auto (#062/275)
Acquired:  eBay
Also considered:  Alan Trammell, Barry Larkin
I mean, you all know all the stats and accolades.  The "Iron Man" was a revolutionary player at his position and is considered #3 overall there by JAWS.  Tram and Larkin are also HOFers with excellent resumes, but there's no topping one of the most important players of his generation in Ripken.
Outfield:  Willie Mays
Hall of Fame?:  1979
Career bWAR:  156.4
Card:  2001 Fleer Platinum Rack Pack Autographs auto (#13) (#068/115)
Acquired:  Pulled from a pack by me
Also considered:  Tony Gwynn
The "Say Hey Kid" was simply one of the greatest ever; his career bWAR is fifth in history, behind just Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, and Barry Bonds.  And his CF-leading JAWS score trails only Ruth and Bonds.  One of the golden era's greatest players and a five-tool threat, he's perhaps the current greatest living player.  Gwynn and the two other OF that didn't make the cut are excellent, no doubt, but they pale in comparison to one of the best ever.
Outfield:  Frank Robinson
Hall of Fame?:  1982
Career bWAR:  107.3
Card:  1999 SP Signature Edition Autographs auto
Acquired:  I dunno, maybe a show?
Also considered:  Carlos Beltran
"The Judge" had a career that puts him 24th overall in bWAR and fifth among RF in JAWS (12th overall in the outfield).  He smacked 586 homers, fell just shy of 3000 hits, won two MVPs and a Triple Crown, and picked up two rings (one Series MVP) among numerous other accolades.  Oh yeah, he was also the game's first black manager.  So how's Milt Pappas working out for you, Reds fans?  Beltran is one of the game's better recent outfielders, but the third of four Orioles in this post easily earns this nod.
Outfield:  Ken Griffey Jr.
Hall of Fame?:  2016
Career bWAR:  83.8
Card:  1999 SP Signature Edition Autographs auto
Acquired:  Pulled from a pack by me
Also considered:  Lou Brock
I would have included Junior even if I had several better options just because he was one of the best, most exciting players of my lifetime.  Injuries and a lack of playoff success kept him from an even more impressive, Mays-like career, but what he did do was still astonishing.  A top-100 player by bWAR, his sweet swing and backwards hat will forever be remembered by anyone who watched the game in the 90s.  Brock, meanwhile, is another great backup thanks to his excellent speed over his HOF career.
DH/Utility:  Al Kaline
Hall of Fame?:  1980
Career bWAR:  92.8
Card:  2001 Donruss Classics Significant Signatures auto
Acquired:  Trade with Bob Walk the Plank
Also considered:  everyone else that didn't make the cut, plus Edgar Martinez
"Mr. Tiger" is another top-50 player in this group, and top-10 at his position as well.  The kid who would win a batting title at just 20 went on to 3000 hits, 399 HR, and a ring with the '68 Tigers, plus 18 All-Star games and 10 Gold Gloves.  His impact as the greatest living Tigers player is on display every year as he continues to advise the team and help the club's outfielders, as he did tutoring a young Kirk Gibson.  There was no way I was leaving him out of this group and I'm grateful for the utility spot as it allowed me to include him and Griffey too.
Starting pitcher:  Greg Maddux
Hall of Fame?:  2014
Career bWAR:  106.7
Card:  2014 Topps Strata Autograph Relics bat auto (#02/25)
Acquired:  eBay
Also considered:  Warren Spahn, Justin Verlander
I would have taken "Mad Dog" over Spahn due to recency bias anyway, but fortunately for me Maddux eclipses him in career bWAR (#26 out of pitchers and position players) and JAWS (#9 pitcher overall).  You'll never see anyone like him again, winner of four straight Cy Youngs, 18 Gold Gloves, and a World Series title, plus 355 victories.  As a reminder, he set a record with 17 straight seasons of 15+ wins.  One of the greatest of his generation, he's definitely my favorite pitcher at this point in my life (keep working at it, Verlander!).
Relief pitcher:  Kerry Wood
Hall of Fame?:  Nope
Career bWAR:  27.6
Card:  2001 Studio Private Signings auto
Acquired:  Card shop purchase
Also considered:  J.J. Putz
Another textbook Cubs pitching phenom that had arm trouble, Wood transitioned to a relief role later in his career, and while most of his value came as a starter, he had a couple good years closing for Chicago and Cleveland.  Honestly this position is another one that's weak in my collection since it's not terribly exciting to collect, but I'm following ZZ's lead and he obviously valued it more thanks to a couple players in his collection!  Putz is a personal favorite of mine as a Michigan guy and PC player, but Wood is the best fit here.
Relief pitcher:  Mike Henneman
Hall of Fame?:  Nope
Career bWAR:  12.9
Card:  1996 Leaf Signature Extended Autographs auto
Acquired:  COMC
Also considered:  Steve Howe
Like I said this position isn't deep at all when it comes to my collection, but this does give me another opportunity to plug Henneman, formerly the Tigers' career saves leader.  He was good to great as the ace of the 'pen for eight-plus seasons.  At this point I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel and literally just have Steve Howe left, a guy who could have been amazing if not for drug abuse.
Relief pitcher:  Mariano Rivera
Hall of Fame?:  Soon!
Career bWAR:  56.2
Card:  1998 Donruss Signature Autographs auto
Acquired:  A show, I think?
Also considered:  I suppose the two guys above?
Mo is simply one of the greatest closers in history, second only to Dennis Eckersley in career bWAR and JAWS.  Then again, some of Eck's value came as a starter whereas the "Sandman" plied his trade exclusively as the guy to shut the door.  Five rings (one MVP) and 652 saves (#1 all-time) later the imposing 'pen ace will surely be up on a stage speaking in Cooperstown next year.
Relief pitcher:  Earl Weaver
Hall of Fame?:  1996
Career record:  1480-1060, 4 pennants, 1 World Series
Card:  2004 Topps Retired Signature auto
Acquired:  Trade with Baseball Card Breakdown
Also considered:  I have a Sparky Anderson IP/TTM of unknown provenance, I guess?
The famously fiery if diminutive Weaver managed Baltimore for 17 seasons, reaching 100+ wins five times and the postseason six, with the 1970 champs a career highlight.

Players I could include if counting autographed memorabilia (all of which I obtained myself and is certified):
  • OF:  Willie Stargell (ball, 8x10)
  • P:  Sandy Koufax (ball), Bob Feller (ball, hat, 8x10, HOF program)
  • Mgr:  Walt Alston (ball), Tommy Lasorda (ball)

Thanks again for the fun idea, Zippy Zappy, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other folks come up with!

8 comments:

  1. That outfield is stacked with greatness - not to mention everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the deepest lineup I've seen of these. Great cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damnnnnnnnn. That lineup is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all--this was a fun way to show off some of my best cards!

    ReplyDelete