Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday fun: You Complete Me, August edition

This month I once again decided to devote some money to finishing up some of my baseball and football sets.  Therefore, I once again moseyed on over to SportLots, put in a couple hours and figured out the optimal order for the sets I decided to attack.  In some cases it made more sense to grab a few of the cards on COMC, plus there were a few instances where neither site had one or more cards I needed, so not every set you see today was completed.  Still, I made major, major headway towards both lists, which is very exciting at least for me.  All that said, here's a look at what I grabbed and how it affected my lists:

First, scans of one card from each set:
A new Ripken?  Nice!;  Only two '01 Stadium Club cards to choose from;  Bastardo is a hilarious name;  One of the newest Dodgers with his first team;  Remember when Fields was a huge prospect?;  Smoltz in his Atlanta heyday;  I could say the same about the levitating Guillen;  HoneyMabry don't care;  Money pit Bobby Higginson was one of a bunch of '05 Chromes.
It's still weird seeing Maddux with the Padres;  Calm down, Greg--that's a facsimile signature of Kershaw!;  Just a couple '09 Bowman Prospects to choose from so I picked one of the resurgent Orioles;  Liddi was the last WBC prospect I needed!;  Grabow is as excited as I am that I finished '09 Topps Update;  Who else would I pick but a Wolverine from '09 Bowman Draft?;  Same goes for '09 Topps:  a Woodley I didn't have;  Green was the final 2011 Topps football base I needed for my fifth set, and it only took me like a year to get it!

  • 2000 Upper Deck (baseball):  25 cards
    • Status:  incomplete--A seller messed up and missed sending me one of the cards I needed so I ordered it from someone else, and that should be here within like 10 days
  • 2001 Stadium Club (baseball):  2 cards
    • Status:  incomplete--I got these two from SportLots and I'm waiting on four more from COMC, but I'll still need another five afterwards due to the relative scarcity of the SPed prospect subset
  • 2002 Bowman (baseball):  24 cards
    • Status:  incomplete--All I need is Bobby Jenks' RC, but it was cheaper on COMC, so that'll be complete soon enough
  • 2003 Topps Total Team Checklists (baseball):  1 card
    • Status:  incomplete--I grabbed the Crawford here but the other two are coming via COMC, so this one is just about in the books
  • 2004 Bowman Draft (baseball):  36 cards
    • Status:  complete--I obviously needed a bunch of these, but SportLots came through in this case!
  • 2004 Leaf Second Edition (baseball):  8 cards
    • Status:  incomplete--Even after snagging one more card on COMC, I'll still be two short, so this set will remain a thorn in my side for a while
  • 2004 Topps Traded (set 1) (baseball):  10 cards
    • Status:  incomplete--However, the other two cards will eventually arrive from COMC, so this one will FINALLY be done!
  • 2005 Fleer Tradition (baseball):  2 cards
    • Status:  complete--Nice to finally have this one done too!
  • 2005 Topps Chrome (baseball):  24 cards
    • Status:  incomplete--It made better financial sense to pick up cards of Hideki Matsui and Yorman Bazardo on COMC, so this one's all but done
  • 2008 Topps Co-Signers (baseball):  3 cards
    • Status:   incomplete--Stop me if you've heard this before, but a couple cards--Pujols and A-Rod--were cheaper on COMC
  • 2009 Bowman (baseball):  4 cards
    • Status:  complete--after wasting a ton of money on retail racks of these, I finally have the base set!
  • 2009 Bowman Draft (football):  13 cards
    • Status:   incomplete--Mark Sanchez's RC was too pricey on SportLots but I nabbed it for $0.41 on COMC
  • 2009 Bowman Prospects (baseball):  2 cards
    • Status:   incomplete--David Freese was the big gun here, and I was able to make a reasonable offer for his RC on COMC
  • 2009 Bowman WBC Prospects (baseball):  1 card
    • Status:   complete--Alex Liddi rounds out this set for me, putting me one card away from all three components of the '09 offering
  • 2009 Topps (football):  14 cards
    • Status:   complete--Well, it took me long enough, but LaMarr Woodley and company polished off this solid set
  • 2009 Topps Update (baseball):  1 card
    • Status:   complete--John Grabow and I were equally excited that this one's done and over
  • 2011 Topps (football):  1 card
    • Status:   complete--Alex Green, as mentioned, completes my 5th set from the case I purchased, and it's crazy I went this long without getting it, but, you know, priorities, man!
Final stats:
  • Total cards:  171
  • Total Sets:  17
  • Completed sets:  7
Not bad, considering I'll have another 10 sets completed by the time I get one more SportLots package and my COMC haul.  It was definitely about time that I put some more time and money into my set wants, and once again, it paid off!  Add to that some luck with trading on Blowout and taking out most, if not all, of my 2012 Topps football lists and it was a fairly productive month!

Now here's the part of the post where I remind you that YOU TOO can help with my wantlists, both the baseball and football versions!  I hope you enjoyed the fruits of my labor since inevitably my attention will wander to other endeavors until I once again get the urge to attack some set needs.  That brings up a good question:  how are your set pursuits going this year?  Throw up a quick comment in that section if you feel the urge.

No comments:

Post a Comment